So we have located a guy who has both these tractors. Neither one runs the 860 did but has a hydraulic leak under the transmission and the carb is off it. The 8n hasnt ran in years but looks pretty straight and the motor is not stuck. Which one would make a better small acreage tractor? My son wants to get one fix it up and repaint it and drive it in the local parades and use it for chores on his feeder pig operation. He raises about 15 pigs a year so using it to move hog huts, haul feed, etc. any major problems with the 860 in general? I don’t know much about either model but I do know 8n.s are pretty easy to work on and parts are everywhere
thank you for any information

I have had an 860 for near 30 years. Love it. Had 3-point lift, hydraulics if you need that, overhead valve engine. Mine has live PTO, I think all 860’s do but I am not sure. Much more capable tractor than 8n, from my point of view.

860 without a doubt. I just got my 860 running after engine transplant along with some power steering. Planning on adding a one arm loader

So we have located a guy who has both these tractors. Neither one runs the 860 did but has a hydraulic leak under the transmission and the carb is off it. The 8n hasnt ran in years but looks pretty straight and the motor is not stuck. Which one would make a better small acreage tractor? My son wants to get one fix it up and repaint it and drive it in the local parades and use it for chores on his feeder pig operation. He raises about 15 pigs a year so using it to move hog huts, haul feed, etc. any major problems with the 860 in general? I don’t know much about either model but I do know 8n.s are pretty easy to work on and parts are everywhere
HiYa Anderson - Welcome to the YT FORD TRACTOR Board. ALL FORD Tractors are great workhorses; the more you work them the more they want to keep going. If you don't know, do some more homework. Evaluate your needs. Showqueen, workhorse or both? The 8N was made from 47 thru 52 with a 4-CYL 119 CID Flat Head engine. Improved over the prior 9N/2N, the 8N had a 4-SPD trans and POSITION CONTROL added to the 3PT. 8N's are perfect for hobby farms, mowing/brush hogging, snow plowing, and working small gardens and deer food plots. In 1954 FORD introduced the 600 and 800 Models. Both now used the new Red TIger OHV engines with the 600 at 134 CID and the 800 at 172 CID. Improved steering and hydraulics added to their popularity. The 600-640 had a 4-SPD trans, PTO, and 3-PT lIft with the 650, 660, 850. and 860 have a 5-SPD trans, PTO and 3-PT. 00's used from '54 thru '57 then the '01 Series was introduced. Both the 8N and the 600/800 have new parts available at select few suppliers. FWIW & FYI: ALL FORDS used the 6V/POS GRN Electrical system til '57. Many fellas have switched over to 12V/NEG GRN but quite a few have never been wired correctly. Early 8N's, '47 - '50, used the front mount distributor - a mystery for many fellas as well. Whichever way you go, first investment should be the ESSENTIAL MANUALS and read. You'll need the OEM Owner's Manual, the 39-59 MPC, the I&T F0-4 Service Manual for the 8N and the I&T F0-20 Service Manual for the '00 Series. DO NOT start buying any new parts on your purchase and start replacing - newbie/rookie mistake #1. There are also correct wiring diagrams for each system as well. Many of us have done true restorations to all original and some have just done refurbished jobs but plenty of example are out there. Good Luck.

Your Mileage May Vary,
Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• FORD 8N OPERATORS MANUAL - EARLY.jpg
    FORD 8N OPERATORS MANUAL - EARLY.jpg
    950.2 KB · Views: 7
  • FORD 8N OPERATORS MANUAL - LATE.jpg
    FORD 8N OPERATORS MANUAL - LATE.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • FORD TRACTOR 600 & 800 OWNERS MANUAL (1).jpg
    FORD TRACTOR 600 & 800 OWNERS MANUAL (1).jpg
    998.2 KB · Views: 8
  • FORD TRACTOR MASTER PARTS CATALOG - 1939 - 1953.jpg
    FORD TRACTOR MASTER PARTS CATALOG - 1939 - 1953.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • FORD TRACTOR MPC  53-59.jpg
    FORD TRACTOR MPC 53-59.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 6
  • I&T F0-4 SERVICE MANUAL.jpg
    I&T F0-4 SERVICE MANUAL.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • I&T FO-20 SERVICE MANUAL - NAA AND UP.jpg
    I&T FO-20 SERVICE MANUAL - NAA AND UP.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
860 over the 8N.

If you are going to ride a big horse, you have to feed him. The 860 will burn nearly twice as much gas as the 8N. If you want a 801 series look for a diesel.

As everyone is posting the 860 has substantially greater capabilities. HOWEVER, your "hydraulic leak under the transmission" is actually from either the motor's rear main crankshaft seal or the transmission input shaft seal. The repair of either requires a split, and usually when one is repairing either they go ahead and do the other at the same time. The rear main can be done without engine removal, but I have done two of them and it is not easy even with the motor out and on a stand. The transmission seal can be replaced just with a split. Generally, if the oil that is dripping out is clear it is from the transmission. If it is dirty like the motor oil that is what it is. You need to evaluate your immediate vs. longer term logistics.

"I do know 8n.s are pretty easy to work on and parts are everywhere"
Same goes for the 860. As all have said, much more tractor, especially if it has power steering. I have had, rebuilt, & sold several of each & if you're not worried about working on an 8N there is no need to worry about an 800.
8N's are a fun tractor to play/work with, but the 860/861 is by far my favorite Ford of all time so I may be a LITTLE biased!

Mr. Anderson – I happen to have a ’55 860 and a ’52 8N. As most of the others have said, the 860 has many advantages which include much more power, more modern engine, 5 speed trans (can go much slower than the 8N), double clutch with live PTO (no need to use an ORC with a bush hog). Typically, you would expect to pay quite a bit more for the 860. Rear tires for the 860 will run a bit more than the 8N (I put tires on both my tractors) and take a look at the rear rims. If the rears are loaded there’s a risk that the calcium chloride has torn up the rims. Regarding the two issues you mentioned, the carb is not a big deal, but you want to stay away from the cheesy 40 dollar jobs you’ll find online. The leaks could be a big deal, but then again, I thought I had a major leak but after I degreased and found it was just a loose plug. As with the 8N, parts are plentiful for the 860. Bottom line, buying any non-running tractor is a gamble, but assuming both these tractors are similarly priced and in similar condition, the 860 will do a lot more.

An 860 will do about twice as much work as will an 8N.

Thanks guys. The input shaft leak is something we ran into on my sons 175 Massey. we just got it back togther with new seals and a new clutch. We are getting ready to fix a rear rim and do the brakes next. My son likes the looks of the as he calls it 50's era Fords like the NAA,600,800 etc. Maybe I will go put an offer on both of them. A man and son can't have too many projects can he?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back