8n Govenor Housing Warped and Leaks Oil

RTR

Is there a fix to the governor housing cover on a 1950 Ford 8n (front distributor) that is warped and leaks oil? I noticed it was leaking and had some permatex RTV on it, so I removed the governor and cleaned it up. The housing is warped and it's obvious that it leaks because of it. Reinstalled it with a new gasket and it leaks oil pretty badly.

If there is no fix for it, should I find a good used original? If so, Anyone have one?

If You take the "guts out of the housing,You can put a piece of glass or straight metal with a piece of sandpaper and sand it in a figure 8. it will get it straight given enough time with 320 or 400 wet or dry paper with WD-40 for lube. Just take your time and check it with a good straightedge often.

If You take the "guts out of the housing,You can put a piece of glass or straight metal with a piece of sandpaper and sand it in a figure 8. it will get it straight given enough time with 320 or 400 wet or dry paper with WD-40 for lube. Just take your time and check it with a good straightedge often.
I thought of that but honestly it looks so warped around the edges, I'm not sure it'd fix it. Is this a common thing?

Get new gasket ,cut the ears off. Apply small a
amount RTV to both sides of gasket. The bent ears should cantilever the governor housing towards the engine. Ford tractor dealer told me that was the fix over 50 years ago. Seems to work for me.

Get new gasket ,cut the ears off. Apply small a
amount RTV to both sides of gasket. The bent ears should cantilever the governor housing towards the engine. Ford tractor dealer told me that was the fix over 50 years ago. Seems to work for me.
Why cut the ears off the gasket?

Is there a fix to the governor housing cover on a 1950 Ford 8n (front distributor) that is warped and leaks oil? I noticed it was leaking and had some permatex RTV on it, so I removed the governor and cleaned it up. The housing is warped and it's obvious that it leaks because of it. Reinstalled it with a new gasket and it leaks oil pretty badly.

If there is no fix for it, should I find a good used original? If so, Anyone have one?
FYI: ALL 8N's used the same governor, model year is irrelevant. ALL 8N's had a 2-ARM Governor. 9N & 2N used a 3-ARM unit and they do not interchange. Linkages are different, parts are different. The 8N aluminum governor housing is notorious for leaking because guys overtighten them when first sign of leaks shows up and i warps the housing. Part of the reason is the design of the housing having only two bolts 180° apart for mounting. Get a rebuild kit reassemble parts with new. Next, take the top housing and place it flat on a hard steel surface in a free state. Using a .005" Feeler Gage, move the feeler all around the housing surface and test for a Go/NO-GO situation. If badly warped the gage will go underneath the sealing surface in spots or all over. You can try to seal it better with a rubber mallet and GENTLY tap the top and see if that flattens the seal better. Place a 6" square piece of 180 GRIT Emory Cloth on the steel surface and LIGHTLY dust the housing surface then recheck with the feeler gage. You may get a better seal or you may not. Buying a used OEM unit may get you in the same situation so I advise against that. They do make a NEW housing for $200 and a NEW complete unit for $350 so how deep are your pockets? Most of us have tried the Permatex stuff too but that usually doesn't last long.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 115.jpeg
    I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 115.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Could one stack the governor gaskets to get a better seal? The local parts place made me buy a whole pack of 10 gaskets to get them

Could one stack the governor gaskets to get a better seal? The local parts place made me buy awhole pack of 10 gaskets to gt them
Try a better, thicker paper gasket made from a cereal box and a dab of Permatex. Stacking many gaskets won't do squat, Avoid reefing down on the two bolts.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• CORN FLAKES.jpg
    CORN FLAKES.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 6

Its the nature of the beast you can rub on it till ell freezes over proper use of good RTV is the best solution.

Flatten the cover, and don't over torque the fasteners. RTV, in small quantities, doesn't hurt either. Avoid so much it squeezes to the interior and gets down into the oil pan. It will clog the oil pump pickup screen! zuhnc

Reactions: lha
Flatten the cover, and don't over torque the fasteners. RTV, in small quantities, doesn't hurt either. Avoid so much it squeezes to the interior and gets down into the oil pan. It will clog the oil pump pickup screen! zuhnc
I like gasgacinch ,an old sealer for gaskets. I "glue" the gasket to the part,then use grease between the engine and the part. The glue in the gasgacinch turns into a clear rubber-like seal and comes off easily when the part needs attention later. It does not have the ability to slough off into the engine,as it is a thin product.

Its the nature of the beast you can rub on it till ell freezes over proper use of good RTV is the best solution.
a handful of years ago, Hobo steered me to black RTV for my leaking governor cover. it's still leak-free.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back