8N Governor issue?

Hello everyone,

Just created an account to try and get some guidance. I bought a '49 8N a couple weeks ago. The owner passed and the tractor wasnt getting any use. It's had a rebuilt motor in 2019 (with receipts), new battery, new rad, new rims/tires. Having been raised on a farm, I figured this a great place for me to start playing with older tractor restoration as a hobby.

I think I have a governor issue, when I picked the machine up and drove it home (about 10km), the throttle lever was very sensitive.. only a couple notches on the column would rev the motor to max rpm. After getting the tractor home, I removed the governor and seen the ball bearings were wearing on the inside of the housing. It created a bit of a groove in the housing and it wore a flat spot on the ball bearings, after doing some reading, I found that the governor should be set with .22 to .23 as per the N shop manual. ''Clearance between washer and fork base should be from .220 to .230 and is adjusted by varying the number of shims (18241) until clearance is correct''
I replaced the balls, shimed using feeler guages to .223, made a new gasketYet its still acting similiar. Very sensitive to throttle movements, and requires me to push the inside arm down to drop RPM? I have taken apart the carb and cleaned it, I do notice that it updrafts pretty strong, without the linkage from the governor to the carb, I think the carb would updraft to wide open by itself if the linkage didnt stop it from opening the butterfly more. Almost like it wants to run away...

attached is a link to a youtube video of the carb and governor actuating by itself and me manually dropping the rpms by moving the governor arm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLN_MLwa5ak
Thanks All!

Attachments

• 20240329_113206_HDR.jpg
    20240329_113206_HDR.jpg
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 23
I had a similar problem last year while rebuilding my tractor. Idle to full throttle in two clicks. After chasing the problem for a week on two tractors with 2 rebuilt carbs and opening up the governor several times I figured out the angle on the butterfly valve linkage ball was slightly different than the original. Both carbs were rebuilt with the same carb kits. I fixed the problem on both by bending the linkage to shorten them. I wonder if that would also fix the many non working governors that I and others have purchased and tried in the past. Probably the overseas made governor arms are made slightly off from original specs causing them to not work correctly. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Attachments

• 20230324_012849.jpg
    20230324_012849.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 25
..... I do notice that it updrafts pretty strong, without the linkage from the governor to the carb, I think the carb would updraft to wide open by itself if the linkage didn't stop it from opening the butterfly more. Almost like it wants to run away...
I do notice that it updrafts pretty strong, without the linkage from the governor to the carb, I think the carb would updraft to wide open by itself if the linkage didnt stop it from opening the butterfly more. Almost like it wants to run away...
This is the way governors are designed to work. They limit throttle to the desired level, determined by the amount of tension on the governor spring. The higher the throttle lever, the more tension on the spring, allowing the rpm's to increase

Thanks for the responses!

I'm glad the carb is updrafting strong like it should. I will play with the governer linkage and give it a try as soon as this rain stops!

Make sure the two linkages to the governor are installed correctly. The linkage from the hand throttle control is attached to the outside governor arm, away from the engine, and the linkage to the carb goes on the arm closest to the engine. If these are reversed it will still work but very erratically.

Hello everyone,

Just created an account to try and get some guidance. I bought a '49 8N a couple weeks ago. The owner passed and the tractor wasnt getting any use. It's had a rebuilt motor in 2019 (with receipts), new battery, new rad, new rims/tires. Having been raised on a farm, I figured this a great place for me to start playing with older tractor restoration as a hobby.

I think I have a governor issue, when I picked the machine up and drove it home (about 10km), the throttle lever was very sensitive.. only a couple notches on the column would rev the motor to max rpm. After getting the tractor home, I removed the governor and seen the ball bearings were wearing on the inside of the housing. It created a bit of a groove in the housing and it wore a flat spot on the ball bearings, after doing some reading, I found that the governor should be set with .22 to .23 as per the N shop manual. ''Clearance between washer and fork base should be from .220 to .230 and is adjusted by varying the number of shims (18241) until clearance is correct''
I replaced the balls, shimed using feeler guages to .223, made a new gasketYet its still acting similiar. Very sensitive to throttle movements, and requires me to push the inside arm down to drop RPM? I have taken apart the carb and cleaned it, I do notice that it updrafts pretty strong, without the linkage from the governor to the carb, I think the carb would updraft to wide open by itself if the linkage didnt stop it from opening the butterfly more. Almost like it wants to run away...

attached is a link to a youtube video of the carb and governor actuating by itself and me manually dropping the rpms by moving the governor arm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLN_MLwa5ak
Thanks All!
I think that you need to get a housing with no groove wore in it!

Reactions: HFJ
every generation has its own slang. rarely does any of it impress me. from my generation, perhaps the slang word which embarrassed me the most was "groovy."

whatever else u may happen to think of tractors, an N governor should NOT be cool like a record album. it should *not* be groovy.

I had a similar problem last year while rebuilding my tractor. Idle to full throttle in two clicks. After chasing the problem for a week on two tractors with 2 rebuilt carbs and opening up the governor several times I figured out the angle on the butterfly valve linkage ball was slightly different than the original. Both carbs were rebuilt with the same carb kits. I fixed the problem on both by bending the linkage to shorten them. I wonder if that would also fix the many non working governors that I and others have purchased and tried in the past. Probably the overseas made governor arms are made slightly off from original specs causing them to not work correctly. Give it a try and see if it works for you.
Yep, bent it a bit. Would allow some throttle movement before going wide open and would come back to idle. Helped a bit thanks!

I think that you need to get a housing with no groove wore in it!
Thanks for the reply,I sanded the burrs off the groove before I reassembled. I think after shimmed to .223 correctly the balls shouldn't contact the housing, so in my mind a bit of a groove shouldn't affect the governer operation... ?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back