8N Starter Button Malfunction

I replaced the starter & solenoid on my '49 8N, and now the push button to start doesn't work.

It's a one wire (green) to small terminal on solenoid. There are 2 small terminals on the solenoid - does it matter which one I use?

I can jump start the tractor at the solenoid, no problem.

If the push button is bad, how do I remove it?

You have to remove the shifter cover to access the lock nut holding it in place. Don't forget to replace the small gasket between the button and shifter plate when you replace it.

Push button is most likely NOT bad, you bought the wrong solenoid.
The push button provides the ground in the circuit.
Try this, run a short wire from the battery side of the solenoid to the other small terminal, then try the push button.
Safety first make sure it's in neutral before doing this.
If this doesn't work you will need to get correct solenoid.

Push button is made to ground the circuit, easier to test than replace. Sounds like you might have the wrong solenoid or have it connected wrong. How are you jump starting the tractor?

Push button is made to ground the circuit, easier to test than replace. Sounds like you might have the wrong solenoid or have it connected wrong. How are you jump starting the tractor?
I am simply jumping it across the 2 solenoid posts

Push button is most likely NOT bad, you bought the wrong solenoid.
The push button provides the ground in the circuit.
Try this, run a short wire from the battery side of the solenoid to the other small terminal, then try the push button.
Safety first make sure it's in neutral before doing this.
If this doesn't work you will need to get correct solenoid.
Thanks Brad - I will try that and you right about wrong solenoid

Dan - not wishing to hijack the OP’s thread - but I’m looking at replacing button too - so regarding the transmission cover - does it come off, go back on easy? Any gotchas? Don’t want to borrow trouble if I really don’t need to. TIA.

Dan - not wishing to hijack the OP’s thread - but I’m looking at replacing button too - so regarding the transmission cover - does it come off, go back on easy? Any gotchas? Don’t want to borrow trouble if I really don’t need to. TIA.
It is easy to remove but you have to watch out for the spring on the detent ball at the rear of cover, don't lose the spring or ball down into the trans. new gasket most likely required.

The bolt on the top center in front of the shifter and starter button is tough to get at, I have to use an open end wrench and come straight down on the bolt. You will see what I mean. Be careful of the detent spring under the back of the cover as has been mentioned. Go ahead and replace the shifter cover gasket, it never really seals good the second time, and are cheap. Clean the gasket sealing area good, no sealant. The nut under the cover holding the starter button has a tabbed locking washer, bend the tabs out to allow you to remove the nut. If you are careful, you can usually reuse the washer. Replace the small gasket in between the starter button and shifter cover. Before you put the cover back on, make sure the pin on the bottom of the starter button goes through the neutral safety hole onbthe shifter linkage.

Really, it is an easy project with no real gotchas.

And, replace the shifter boot while you are working on that area. Probably hasn't been done in, like, forever!
Isn't that the truth. I also had to replace the shifter pin when I pulled my friends cover last week. Now that was a "fun" project.

@Dan - I am going through my "new" '48 8N. The shifter pin was worn to about 1/32" wide where it fit into the slots. I also found the retainer for the spring underneath was about completely worn through, as well. A chore to get that retainer out! Pin came out easily with an appropriate BFH and a punch.

Aren't these tractors fun! zuhnc

@Dan - I am going through my "new" '48 8N. The shifter pin was worn to about 1/32" wide where it fit into the slots. I also found the retainer for the spring underneath was about completely worn through, as well. A chore to get that retainer out! Pin came out easily with an appropriate BFH and a punch.

Aren't these tractors fun! zuhnc
Came out easy?!?! Some people have all the luck! Mine was as worn down as yours (original pin) and would not budge! I had to drill all the way through (by hand and still stayed 100% inside the pin) and a BFH to get mine out. Good for another 75 years or more

Attachments

• Resized_20240423_121020.jpeg
    Resized_20240423_121020.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Resized_20240423_121027.jpeg
    Resized_20240423_121027.jpeg
    482.5 KB · Views: 17

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back