Ford 8N Starting help

cladwig

New User
Hello Everyone. I aquired my grandfathers Ford 8n a couple of years ago and I has ran perfectly. This spring it will not start using the push button. I can pull and jump start and it runs fine. I have replaced the push button, have 5.9 volts at the battery and at the starter solenoid. At the solenoid, I have that voltage reading with the key on or off. It that normal? I tried bypassing the solenoid and nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated. Not sure how to test the solenoid, Such a simple system, what am I missing?

Hello Everyone. I aquired my grandfathers Ford 8n a couple of years ago and I has ran perfectly. This spring it will not start using the push button. I can pull and jump start and it runs fine. I have replaced the push button, have 5.9 volts at the battery and at the starter solenoid. At the solenoid, I have that voltage reading with the key on or off. It that normal? I tried bypassing the solenoid and nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated. Not sure how to test the solenoid, Such a simple system, what am I missing?
Easy way to test solenoid is MAKE SURE TRACTOR IS OUT IF GEAR and cross the terminals with a screwdriver or wrench.
Nate

5.9 volts is a discharged battery. You should have 6.3 or more for a full charged battery

Not saying that it is your problem, but this scenario almost always involves battery cable connection problems. People seem to hate to face the fact that their problem could be such a simple one.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back