A Farmer's Revenge

2underage

Yesterday I decided to try my hand at reducing the deer population. Those creatures had completely destroyed a 10 acre field of soybeans and do a lot of damage to my corn crop. I got into a hunting blind about 3 pm and at about 4 pm I saw him cross a small opening in the thicket about 110 yards away. My shot killed him instantly and I had to go home and get my tractor and loader to haul him home. This makes 3 nice bucks from the farm but that does little to control the population as only the does have fawns.
a177493.jpg

It?s getting bad here, there are generally a half dozen on my lawn every night. Friend had special nuisance tags issued as they destroyed his crops, they took a bunch of deer but you wouldn?t notice to drive by right now.

Does the law alow harvesting doe? Texas is crawling with deer eventhough about 1 doe for 3 bucks is killed. The wildlife management people say we should kill equal numbers but hunters refuse. If you like,we can send you a load of wild pigs. They will root seed up the night after you plant then tear holes in fence to go plow up your neighbors hay meadow before tearing up the old lady down the road's flower garden.Oh,almost forgot to mention you will find them during heat of day resting in the cows' water hole while cows go thirsty.

Killed this one this past week. Loader handy to have around. Between them and the bear I'm lucky if I get a few ears out of my sweet corn patch. Seen this shooter yesterday along with two smaller bucks but I'm out of bow buck tags, have to wait for gun season.

<a href="https://imgur.com/TkSnEyq">
TkSnEyqh.jpg" title="source: imgur.com"
</a>

<a href="https://imgur.com/ZUlphhs">
ZUlphhsh.jpg" title="source: imgur.com"
</a>

Back in '90 I worked a few months in Lawrenceville NJ,and was amazed at how many deer were up there. I thought Alabama had a bunch. Every day driving to work you saw wrecked cars from hitting deer. Don't guess the herd has thinned any?! And I never got out in the country, just work and sleep. Was working on a huge apartment complex near there. Couldn't find it if I had too. Lol Kevin in Central AL

Around here we have a lot of "hunters" that cruise the back roads at night. Often will shoot a deer, cut off the head and leave the rest to rot in the field. Or ones from the bigger cities come out to the country and hunt where ever they want. The place I have been hunting is no longer safe to be on, I have known the owner since he was a little kid and knew his father long before that. I can still hunt the fence rows if I want but not many deer passing thru. It has gotten where I am looking for a new place to hunt and keep hearing these reasons why they are not letting anyone on their property. Or someone leases up anything they can, put out feeders with stands next to them, charge big money for someone to hunt a day or two.

I would prefer a doe or yearling as they taste better. And taking a doe does more to reduce the deer population than taking half the buck population would. Still, we are getting the same answer, no. (Most farmers are polite when they say this)

Yes it is pretty nice now that we are in 2025. That means that I am now 92 years old. I bought a used camera on Ebay and it takes good pictures but the date just randomly sets the date and does not respond to my efforts to set the correct date.

Still plenty of deer here even with the coyote and car kills. In my area You can kill as many doe as you like, two at a time, phone call to check them in and then go kill some more. If you hunt all the season's you can hunt from early September to middle of February. I think you can get half dozen bucks if you get all your tags.

Guy that rents my field lost his beans last year to deer. The guy hunting the place got 3 last year, 4 so far this year. Told me last night he hasnt seen any since he got the last one, a buck about that size.

Here as I understand 1 buck and if you pay extra you can get a doe tag. Limit in possion is 2 deer in your freezer. And season not yet here. They do not want to reduce deer population but increase it. 40 year ago I never had seen a deer and now we have them. I think they hauled in loads of then to dark unused roads at night and unload then to get them established here. I am no hunter so do not know all the rules.

Special nuisance tag? Not in my state. Have to jump thru hoops just to get permission to get one buck with extra hoops to get a doe.

Sure is nice when you hunt your own place, I've gotten spoiled having tractors/loaders/4wheelers to get my deer out instead of dragging.

Fred

Congrats, that is a nice buck. We can only shoot bucks here in this area. Why? I do not know as we are being overrun with deer. We can hunt the does after the regular season for a week with a muzzle loader but by then the weather is usually bad and the deer have moved into the swamps.

Too many deer on my farm, too. Our gun season hasn't started yet, but the bow hunters have taken out 5 does (I asked them to - most of them have been only hunting big bucks the last few years), and my son and a friend from church both got does in the youth hunt a month ago. It's a start... but I still saw 19 while I was on the tractor the other day, going to and from a field 3/4 mile away.

Our rifle season starts on the 11th of this month. When I was brush hogging the field borders the other day, I counted 17 deer out in one bean field. Closer inspection revealed severe damage to the beans. The deer stripped the leaves off of many plants. I have three tags, one "any deer" and two more "antlerless only" tags. I will be aiming at does first. They taste better anyway.

50 yrs ag we hardly ever saw a deer.Now we want the damn things to go away. The only thing they are good for is tag money for the countys,body shops,ruin everything else just about.

In what state are you? Here ( N.C.) landowner farmer or renter/grower can get a permit to kill nuisance deer year round. I have bad problem with deer in corn all during growing season. They start grazing it as soon as it comes up, then get really bad taking ear shoots just as they form and silk. From then on until corn is taken as silage or grain, they break ears off and eat grain from the cobs.
A few years ago I went to wildlife officer's home (he lives near here) and told him that something has got to be done about those blasted deer destroying my crops. It was late one evening , almost dark when I saw him. He said "Go home, get a light and shoot them now." I said, "At night with a light?" He said, "I don't care!" He said that I did not need a permit if shooting them myself, but did need one if I wanted to designate another person to help me.

I think they have every deer tracked and know where they are at all times. If one comes up missing you are going to be on the hot seat even if you did not shoot it.

How many pounds of meat will that deer give you? A sight like that, will probably send a few do gooders off the road where I live. We maybe get one or two deer strikes in 4-5 years. I was at a community meeting a couple nights ago. This lady wants the city to put up dear crossing signs. Unless you completely stop the signs will do no good, and besides deer can't read. A neighbor set up a game camera, and has captured a mountain lion, and coyotes roaming in his yard. People just don't under stand these animal were here first. Then they wonder why Fido, and Miss Kitty are missing. I keep my animals in at night, no problem here. Stan

I wish something like this would work like the Romans used to do. Deer might get the idea. Romans used to line the road with criminals. You get the idea.

I THINK IN MISSOURI IF YOUR A FARMER AND DEER ARE DESTROYING YOUR CROPS YOU CAN SHOOT THEM ANYTIME YOU WANT. All you have to do is call the law after you shoot them so they can pick the deer up and give it the organizatios and they distribute the meat out. At least someone will get a good meal.

i remember as a kid about 10 years old 59 years ago one morning at breakfast dad told us he had seen a deer that morning when he went to get cows for morning milking.
we saw very few deer at that time that deer was with the cows most of the summer

Picture is from summer of 2016. It shows three of five bucks in my backyard one morning. About two months ago there were 12 bucks in my mothers yard about 500 feet from my house here on the farm. We are overrun with the darn things. I do not hunt for sport but I do my part in reducing the numbers.
<image src="http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto5771.jpg"/>

The whitetail deer population today is believed by wildlife biologists to exceed that of pre-Columbian America. The population bottomed out at the end of the 19th century, but have been on the rise ever since due to conservation efforts. Apparently the carrying capacity of modern North America is higher than it has ever been for white tails. This, and lack of predation, creates an ideal situation for disease.

Mule deer on the other hand are in steep decline and hunting could likely be curtailed for mule deer during this century.

As for me, I will kill as many white-tailed does as they will let me. Working on getting my second for this year. Wish I had more time for sitting in a blind.

It is because the ones in charge want to increase the deer heard for some reason only known to them.

(quoted from post at 15:35:17 11/08/17) It is because the ones in charge want to increase the deer heard for some reason only known to them.

Are you suggesting there is a deer-population conspiracy? I doubt that, if anything it is good intentions that paid off, maybe a little too well. Also, the tendency to conserve prey species while villanizing predators, is also a likely contributor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back