AC 185 transmission

WiscoFord

New User
I have an AC 185 that started making some noise in the transmission when driving that is most noticeable in reverse. It shifts into all gears and will drive in all gears but makes the noise. Opening up the cover on the transmission shows damage to the teeth on the Sliding Gear(34T) and the Reverse Sliding Gear(24T) where they have been hitting. The forks are not broken and appear intact. See the pictures below. Is it possible for the forks to come out of alignment? If so, how do you make sue they are set properly? Any other suggestions?

36AD4816-C7DD-4752-9C62-06411B6497BA_1_201_a.jpeg
IMG_8641.jpg
IMG_8649.jpg

Looks like NORMAL reverse gears to me. Reverse only makes noise in REVERSE, not any other gear.

What i can see in the pictures, the two upper gears have some damage. Without being able to see the countershaft I don't know it's condition. In your second picture the reverse sliding gear on the mainshaft looks to have the teeth badly chipped back far to the left side of the image. If you could raise a rear wheel, turn the mainshaft some and send more pictures. Sometimes three or four teeth like that will make noise every time they go around.

I have an AC 185 that started making some noise in the transmission when driving that is most noticeable in reverse. It shifts into all gears and will drive in all gears but makes the noise. Opening up the cover on the transmission shows damage to the teeth on the Sliding Gear(34T) and the Reverse Sliding Gear(24T) where they have been hitting. The forks are not broken and appear intact. See the pictures below. Is it possible for the forks to come out of alignment? If so, how do you make sue they are set properly? Any other suggestions?

View attachment 70232View attachment 70236View attachment 70237
It is a "sliding gear" transmission and someone has practiced "grind a pound for me, too" a few too many times when shifting.

Think I misled and didn't have enough detail. Most noticeable in 3rd and 4th. Gear clash and binding while driving. Noticeable chipping on sliding and reverse gears beyond normal grinding of gears. Appears sliding and reverse are interfering with one another. How do you determine the appropriate shift fork location on the shift rail to hold reverse and sliding gears apart from contacting one another?

When the shift cover is in second gear as it should be when removed, the reverse fork and the first gear second gear forks will be aligned with each other. In the transmission move the first gear second gear coupler forward to second gear..
Then move reverse idler so that fork groves in both line up. This is where things need to be to install cover. But now with out moving reverse idler, slide the gear on mainshaft to the rear until it is against first speed gear on mainshaft, this is first gear and reverse idler is not touching upper gear. Now move transmission to neutral and then slide reverse idler forward to engage upper gear. This is reverse. It should be fully engaged in the gear teeth. I would still like to see more pictures of the gear teeth when you can. Hope this helps some. If you need to work on the transmission it is not too bad of a job.

Binding while driving in 3rd and 4th ??? You've got BRAKE problems. Reverse gears only mate when in reverse !!! No other time do they even touch each other.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back