Aluminum utility trailer reviews

Our Phone System is Down!

Please use the Contact us Form

We are working to resolve the issue ASAP! Thanks for your patience!

dlbuck

I'm looking to buy an aluminum utility/atv trailer to haul 4 - wheelers and lawnmowers. Looking at 7' x 14' single 3,500lbs axel. I live in southern Minnesota, common brands in the region, are Aluma, H and H, DCT and a few others. I have only looked on the Internet , I would like to have some input from you people before I go to the dealers. Thanks,

I would recommend Aluma. I have bought their snowmobile and utility trailers. My Aluma utility trailer is nearing 10 years old and I haven't had one problem with it. Mine is a single axle 10' and I have used a single axle 12' Aluma. They pull great. I agree with others, if you want a 14' look at getting a tandem axle.

3500 lb is a very common size and does not require brakes. 14' is long for that axle and over loading can be an issue. With a trailer that long and a single axle make sure the ride hight is not too low or dragging when going through dips can be a problem. With a tandem, the wheels are closer to the ends so that is less of an issue. As far as towing goes, where the axle center is and how the load is loaded is what determines that, not how many axles you have. The center of the axles is the tipping point and the relationship to that and the center of the load is what determines towability, not how many axles you have. It is not uncommon for folks to think it is related to how many axles there are, but that is not how it works. If you post links to the actual trailers your looking at I can look them over and point out any issues that I see with them. Are you looking at a trailer with sides or not?

First, thanks to all for the reply's. To jon f mn , I don't know how to post links, but thanks for the offer. Aluma for now is where l'm leaning, but want see one and look it over, and under it. I am looking at trailer's with a ramp on the back, and to load from the side on the front. The side ramp's are the sides for the front part of the trailer. I want sides for the back, or at least stake pockets. I know what you are saying about the way a trailer is loaded. Tongue weight is very important. I work road construction and have a cdl, so I have loaded and pulled a few loads. Not committed to the fourteen foot length. You are right about the back dragging through dips. I want to haul two 4-wheelers, front one crosswise and second lengthwise, with the back of trailer for lightweight hunting gear. As long as I own the trailer it won't be overloaded and will have enough tongue weight. Mostly would like to know your opinions on manufacturers and other advice. I know you are working so Thank you very much.

If it's in your budget you might want to consider the bifold ramp to cut down on wind resistance. My 10' Aluma has the bifold ramp but I can still feel the wind resistance when I pull it with my Colorado with a five cylinder. I'm sure it would be worse if the ramp stuck up twice as far. The ramp does rattle quite a bit on the bumps when I'm going over railroad tracks. In town I can hear it echoing off the buildings.

I have a 16 foot Aluma tandem axle trailer. I bought it new in 2000. A few of the welds could have been better. It has the fold down ramp. I prefer loading on it compared to my tilt bed trailer. It pulls extremely well. At the time I bought it I pulled it with a Caravan and it handled very well.

There are just too many different manufacturers to go through them all, and in most cases each will have some good models and some less good. What most do here that want advice is to find 2 or 3 different trailers that suit their needs and post pics of them. Then it is easier to look them over for any issues. Other than that there is a company called AlumaLine, those are mostly pretty poor trailers and I've seen a lot of them patched quite a bit. I think the Aluma trailers you looked at are a different brand and look better as far as I've seen. Featherlite is also a good brand.

I went to the Aluma site and only saw one 14' single axle trailer. Observations: I wouldn't want anything with tires smaller than 15". Neither of my 4 wheelers will fit cross-ways on a trailer 63" wide (Polaris 400 Sport and Honda Rancher). My 5' deck mowers won't go on it also.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back