Always on the hunt

Tgrasher

for a Case tractor and while getting fuel, 50 some miles to my southwest in Jackson MO, I met Harold who was a very interesting old guy (turns out he's a year older than me) who had a bunch of knowledge about tractors and trucks. The question I can't help but ask is if they know where any old Case tractors are in the area. I find out Harold was from 30 miles south of where I live, and yes he knew of a 730 diesel that had been setting for 10 years in a shed. He said he would have to talk to the people and would call me to let me know. That was a Saturday and on Monday Harold calls and we set up a day to meet and go over to where the tractor is. I make an offer on the tractor and it is accepted. Tomorrow I will haul the 730 home. I don't understand what's wrong with me. I don't need this tractor as I'm working on three as time allows right now.
Turns out Harold's memory was about as good as mine, not in a shed but the motor was loose. In the top left photo, Harold is the guy with his hands on the730, the other guy is my bil.
20240429_215309.jpg

for a Case tractor and while getting fuel, 50 some miles to my southwest in Jackson MO, I met Harold who was a very interesting old guy (turns out he's a year older than me) who had a bunch of knowledge about tractors and trucks. The question I can't help but ask is if they know where any old Case tractors are in the area. I find out Harold was from 30 miles south of where I live, and yes he knew of a 730 diesel that had been setting for 10 years in a shed. He said he would have to talk to the people and would call me to let me know. That was a Saturday and on Monday Harold calls and we set up a day to meet and go over to where the tractor is. I make an offer on the tractor and it is accepted. Tomorrow I will haul the 730 home. I don't understand what's wrong with me. I don't need this tractor as I'm working on three as time allows right now.
Turns out Harold's memory was about as good as mine, not in a shed but the motor was loose. In the top left photo, Harold is the guy with his hands on the730, the other guy is my bil.View attachment 69121
Nice looking hi-profile twin stick 730. I have one here...but not as nice.

Turns out Harold's memory was about as good as mine, not in a shed but the motor was loose. In the top left photo, Harold is the guy with his hands on the730, the other guy is my bil.View attachment 69121
What's your favorite CASE tractor? The next one. Don't tell my wife! LOL

I like the look of the 400 better but I like the 730-830's tractors. Weren't many of the 700's around here even though we had a great dealer. Dad had a 400 diesel, his first diesel tractor. He was a Farmall man but didn't want a gas start IHC diesel. He hated the TD-9 he had so he bought the 400 used when he sold the dairy. He later bought a DC to fill the silo, the old H was getting very tired. He bought a new Gehl silo filler and a new Gehl self unloading wagon at the same time. He also bought a new Bearcat flail chopper. All at Harrold and Jensen Case dealership in Albany Oregon. In 1963. Later he went back to Farmalls, a 706 and a 1256....James

I like the look of the 400 better but I like the 730-830's tractors. Weren't many of the 700's around here even though we had a great dealer. Dad had a 400 diesel, his first diesel tractor. He was a Farmall man but didn't want a gas start IHC diesel. He hated the TD-9 he had so he bought the 400 used when he sold the dairy. He later bought a DC to fill the silo, the old H was getting very tired. He bought a new Gehl silo filler and a new Gehl self unloading wagon at the same time. He also bought a new Bearcat flail chopper. All at Harrold and Jensen Case dealership in Albany Oregon. In 1963. Later he went back to Farmalls, a 706 and a 1256....James
Case really pushed the Case-o-matic 800 over the clutch drive 700. I have found only 2 ads featuring a 700 tractor while 800's are featured in dozens, if not hundreds of ads. Case bet their future on COM and it didn't pay off very well for them.

Harrold and Jensen must have been movers and shakers with three dealerships. They also sold Oliver, if I remember correctly. Any idea how and when they went out of business?

@Don Rudolph you have a good point, however I think where Case also missed the boat was not putting the COM behind a six cylinder, still want to build one, Have a 800 that had a bad engine, and a 1070 engine that busted the crank key out, easy fix, just never have had the time to put it all together, would use a 900 hood for the length. That COM was used in tanks, slightly different housing but same convertor and clutch setup and they held up fine.

I had 2 830 Cases, COM was a little weird for me but I liked it. I had to make sure I paid attention. I found COM a little like Case powershift on the 70 series, a little different. I was use to JD P.S. Most of my tillage tractors were JD P.S.

I don't remember now whether it had to do with the IH merger or had something to do with White Corp, or both. Don't remember the year they closed. They were in a bigger building in Albany than the JD Fisher Implement store just a block away. Fisher Implement became a 5-6 store dealership in the 70's. I remember the case dealer but don't remember the JD dealer as a young kid. But, I never liked JD before the 20 series And I remember when the 10 series came out. Dad was all IHC. But I remember those Olivers. I remember seeing those big fat Terra tires on the front assist Olivers. They used a lot of them on the muck ground on grass seed farms in the south valley. Then the single Terra tires on the low slung sleek silver 4-150's....James

Was the COM heavy enough for more power? I didn't have many problems but you had to keep them adjusted up, just right, on the 830. The smaller ones seemed to be bullet proof. My self, I would rather have the straight 2 range 8 speed, even over the IHC TA. But we only had a 504 utility with a TA. It was a really good loader tractor and we loaded many loads of sawdust, shavings and hog fuel at the sawmill, everyday. My first big farm tractor was a 1970 4020 P.S. hfwa. But I loved the sound guard 30 series JD from the first time I drove one. Went to the 40 series and never saw a reason to buy anything newer. I didn't like the 15 speed P.S. so never bought anything newer. The 4240 was my favorite tractor, perfectly balanced for a 5 plow tractor. I had 4 different 4240's. I upgraded for 2 new ones the last year they made them. I farmed until 1992....James

Last edited:
Was the 400b and 830 COM the exact same unit? I had both but other than adjusting the 830 never really looked at them side by side. Was just wondering if one for a 4 cyl was strong enough for engine like the 6 cyl in a 1030....James

James, same unit, like I said they were made by Twin Disc and used in Sherman Tanks behind I believe Packard engines,( the engine brand may be off there was several years ago) that came direct from Harry Kline, the father of the COM program, He swore to me that they would have been fine behind the 451, he giggled and said shoot I think they would have been able to handle the lower HP 504, like say a 2090 had! I am going to believe what he said, He was literally Mr. Case-o-matic, we lst a lot of knowledge when he passed!

Was the 400b and 830 COM the exact same unit? I had both but other than adjusting the 830 never really looked at them side by side. Was just wondering if one for a 4 cyl was strong enough for engine like the 6 cyl in a 1030....James
There was a guy that had an 830 he used for tractor pulling, I think it had an 870 turbo motor in it. I'm sure he was running 600 hp or so and never had a com issue that I know of. I have heard that at the time the 6 cylinders put out so much torque with a com that they couldn't keep from spinning the ri.s inside the tires is the reason the com sisnt get used in the bigger tractors.

Case really pushed the Case-o-matic 800 over the clutch drive 700. I have found only 2 ads featuring a 700 tractor while 800's are featured in dozens, if not hundreds of ads. Case bet their future on COM and it didn't pay off very well for them.

Harrold and Jensen must have been movers and shakers with three dealerships. They also sold Oliver, if I remember correctly. Any idea how and when they went out of business?
Don,
Dad did 52 demonstrations with the "800" and said out of those 52 he sold each one something, but also alot of tractors

Attachments

• 20151124_160452_003.jpg
    20151124_160452_003.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
Don,
Dad did 52 demonstrations with the "800" and said out of those 52 he sold each one something, but also alot of tractors
That is a great photo, Dan. I know of only 1 800 in this whole county that was sold new. The nearest "dealer" was a horse jockey who preferred selling and financing well used equipment rather than new Case equipment. I doubt he did any demonstrations. He was not a good representative for the Case line. We drove right past his place (3 miles away) and worked with the next dealer (20 miles away) who was golden. Twenty miles, in those days, was considered a long distance for dealer service.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back