Benidx won't engage on Ford 640

RufusMons

I had to change the starter on my Ford 640. Now when I hit the starter button the starter motor spins but doesn't engage the flywheel. I hear a clicking sound as if gears are not meshing. What do I do next?

Can you move your tractor? If so, put it in the highest gear and rock it back and forth with a rear tire. Then try the starter again. You might have broken teeth on the ring gear. If you can't move the tractor, take the starter back off and look inside.

What was it doing before you "had to change the starter"? Same thing? Dead battery most likely, not the starter. After? Possibly connected the solenoid wrong. When the starter motor just 'click-click clicks' when the key is ON and the neutral safety starter pushbutton is depressed, 99.98% of the root cause problem is a weak or dead battery. That would be my first point to investigate. If the battery isn't used in over week it will begin to lose its electrolyte and specific gravity depletes. The battery/power source is the heart of any machine. It must be kept at maximum strength under load in order to perform. Connecting a battery charger simply will do nothing if the battery is weak or dead. Invest in a good 'float battery' NOT a trickle charger type. The DELTRAN BATTERY TENDER is a good reliable model, about $30 anywhere. A float charge stays connected when the machine is not in use to maintain that full charge so it's there when you need it most -at start up. Your OEM starter is made to be rebuilt over and over and also would be the first choice to go to for any component. New stuff today is inferior, often lacking any QC and at times junk out of the box. Your trusty local starter/alternator shop can bench test your battery and starter (generator and/or alternator too) usually for free. Starters, generators, and alternators can and should be tested and rebuilt first choice. In addition to the battery, the next step is to verify the entire wiring system is correct. Get your Essential Manuals out to reference.
You need a strong battery to:
1. Spin the starter
2. Engage the Bendix
3. Provide voltage to the coil.
Tips on battery care and performance:
As the battery gets weaker, the first thing to fail is your spark. The more current you use to spin the starter, the less you have for the ignition. It doesn't really matter much if the battery is "fully charged" until you test it correctly. 4 Volts is an almost dead unit. Bench test under load and specific gravity must be tested. A fully charged 6v battery should read about 6.3 - 6.6 volts. In order to get that charge level, your v/r must allow 7.2 volts to the battery. Specific gravity should be 1.24 - 1.28 on each cell. A hydrometer is used but your shop has the machine to test under load. Battery cables are important too. 6V cables are thick as your thumb due to current used and the ground is a braided flat strap.

BATTERY TENDER JR (6V) BY DELTRAN:
L6eHxEgh.jpg
ifHyzGdh.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)

Tim, I was thinking of that too, but he says the starter spins and the clicking sounds like the gears aren't engaging.

Forgot to add, if it engages after that, you're looking at a split to replace the ring gear. There is a 1 in 4 chance that every time you go to start it, you'll have the same thing happen.
Rolling in gear or sticking something in the timing gear hole to rotate it are two ways to get it to start.

PloughNman Daley you nailed it! Not enough battery ooomph. I put jumpers on from my car and the tractor starter engaged instantly. I'm surprised at the battery--it measures 13.0 volts without load. Usually a weak battery shows close to 12. Anyway, new battery will go on board in a day or two.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back