Best series 12 volt battery for Farmall 400 With Gas Engine.

cal556

New User
Whats the best 12 volt battery for my Farmall 400 Gas engine With 12 Volt Conversion?

Last edited:
what do you mean by best ? is this a diesel or gas. get what ever fits in the battery box, with the highest cca . gas engines dont need as high a cca battery like a diesel. for example diesel around 1000 cca and gas if ok with 700-800 cca. battery's last forever now a days. then 400's were 6 volt from factory, but many change them over to 12 volt and an alternator.

A group 31 battery is about the biggest that may fit. Used in commercial vehicles. Measures 13" long, about 7" wide, and 9.5" tall. Bigger with more capacity for the hard starting engines. They don't cost that much more and I hate having unexpected battery problems. Usually high heat in the summer or freezing cold in the winter when it starts losing its charge. Keep a maintenance charger on batteries during the winter.

I agree with anything that fits. The gas engine is easy to roll over and tuned right it should fire off in one or two compressions.

We use the group 31 's with the stud tops. Never need to fool around with them after being put in. The studs have less corrosion issues and are easy to add extra electrical things like lights or GPS and other toys by just putting them on the battery stud with an inline fuse. Also they are much heavier service than cheap car batteries. We use them in all the farm tractors from H to the 1466 and one will start any of them . 2 in the 7140 and 2-4 in the Stiegers.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back