Brake anchor pin & collar

NWMO 901 SOS

Hello friends,

I’m trying to replace brake shoes on my 971 and I’m fighting the anchor pin & collar. I assume 40-60 years has pretty well rusted the collar on the pin. I’ve removed the clip and given them some healthy raps with my 3# hammer and gave a good soaking with penetrant yesterday. I assume this is pretty much a heat & beat project, but wanted to check. I see replacement parts here if needed. Anything I need to be careful with?

Chris

Whenever I do a brake job on a tractor of that vintage I just cut the brake shoes off since I'm usually replacing them anyways. With the shoes out of the way I heat the collar 1st then take a visegrip and get the collar loosened up on the pin. After the collar is loose I heat up around the pin and then clamp the visegrip a little tighter on the collar to get the pin to spin after that the pins drive out easy with a punch. A little time spent with a wire wheel and the parts are all ready to reuse. Heat is definitely your friend on this job. Just make sure you try to get the collar loosened 1st otherwise it's hard to hold the pin from spinning. My 2 cents worth GregNE

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back