Brake fluid leaks

Maybe I will ? But anyhow if this guy wants information on proper brake lines and such he should be visiting a mechanic for the proper advice. Not from the peanut gallery Ones that want to pass off info. Pretending they know stuff from looking it up before posting stuff. I sure cant afford to look after some one elses family due to them following wrong advice. But each to his own. We have winners and we have losers. Just wrap more tape on that leak. This is getting to be the funny farm at the coffee shop on here.

(quoted from post at 17:35:19 08/18/23) Can u make a double flared line ?

If you are talking to me.

I have an Eastwood hydraulic tubing flare kit and can make double flare. Along with singles, push connect fittings, ISO/DIN bubble (metric foreign cars and trucks) flares and GM style push fuel fittings.

A good hydraulic flare kit like an Eastwood will set you back right at $400. But well worth the money when all you have to do is grab a roll of SAE or metric tubing, a hand full of fittings and be done before the guy at the parts store can tell you he, "can have it tomorrow".

I am thinking at this point either you need to try to put a new double flare on your pre-bent tubing, or replace it with another new piece
of tubing, and possibly replace the block it screws into as well.

There used to be a pretty good Craftsman double flare tool available at a reasonable price, but I don't know if it is available any more,
since Stanley tools bought the Craftsman line. It did take lots of wrenching as it used 1/2 bolts to work everything. Almost every other
tool I ever used had slide bar handles to turn the clamps and press screw.

Rustred,

I appreciate your concern. I am a retired computer geek that has done shade tree work on mid-60's to early 70's GM products. This is not my 1st entire brake replacement, nor the 1st time I've worked on brake lines. No, I don't have tools for flares, double flares. Reason-1 I bought pre bent. All other times I've used auto part store lines and fudged them to fit. I've had leaks which were fixed, needed to be tightened up a bit more. This one wont stop. Was hoping someone here had something in their bag of tricks that I could learn. I will try what others have suggested.

Thanks for your time...Don.

good day Don ,... its obvious that its the line or other female end that is damaged. just inspect them and try another double flared line.
plus u did did not say what flare u are using. and also you never tighten a flare line like you said. the more tight tight u make it the
more chance you will crack the flare. so maybe try what i suggested. there is no tricks in brake work , just do it properly. plus you did not
say if you removed the leaking fitting or maybe u did, and did an inspection on it is what the thing to do would be. plus u can buy that line
from napa or other automotive stores and have someone flare it for you. and use a line wrench to tighten the fitting.

Others below have given good advice.On
this the line or rubber hose fitting are
bad. To eliminate which has the bad thread
is to unthread the line and cap it off. If
no leak when pumping brakes than your hose
has a bad thread.Even the best made
fitting are subject to leak. Best of luck
and happy you are saving one more older
GMC

Unscrew the hard line from brake hose. Look at hose carefully where the hard line seats. You might be able to see where it is not sealing.

(quoted from post at 18:07:10 08/18/23) Maybe I will ? But anyhow if this guy wants information on proper brake lines and such he should be visiting a mechanic for the proper advice. Not from the peanut gallery Ones that want to pass off info. Pretending they know stuff from looking it up before posting stuff. I sure cant afford to look after some one elses family due to them following wrong advice. But each to his own. We have winners and we have losers. Just wrap more tape on that leak. This is getting to be the funny farm at the coffee shop on here.

What John in LA posted.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back