Breaker Breaker Frustration

Hobo,NC

49 N front mount 12V starts but not one that fires right off. Once running idles great once you apply some throttle sounds like a johnny popper running on two cylinders. Bring it back to idle idles great. While johnny poplin its fat and rich huffing smoke choke makes it worst. Hes had it at a shop they gave up he states they put points in it but it looks like the dist has never been off.

I snatch the dist. points are breaking OK but burnt/worn. Cam lobe dry as a bone looks like a confirmed kill. NO! every part of it put up a fight the first set of points I dug out BWD A41 when installed you could adjust them they would not break WTF do I have the YT curse.

Last thing before I quit yesterday I ordered a set from Advance auto they deliver them this morning. All went well other than the points did not line up the contacts were offset quite a bit. The last post I made a month are so back there was something different about the points instillation no one said anything I kept my mouth shut : ). I had to shim the points to get them to line up I used a old set for my shim reamed the hole out. The shim goes over the alignment stud about 0.020 made a good fit.

mvphoto112146.jpg

I get the points plate in the timing adjuster screw will not line up I take it apart for the up-teen time and clean up the slot.

mvphoto112147.jpg

Breaker installed all looks good.

mvphoto112148.jpg

It fires up but not as good as it should. Its been in the shop overnight I left the heat on, I choked it but it acted like I over did it sputters and starts. Am I gonna have to clean the carb : (. It idles good but flutters off idle the johnny pop is gone it now flutters like its lean choke does not help. Its time for my bag of tricks out comes the spark tester.

I set it to 2/0 pull a plug wire off hook to it and start the engine NO SPARK under any condition. I run it to SE a spark every now and again I run it in some more I have spark but not consistent.

mvphoto112149.jpg

Coil Ohms good I don't have a new 12V coil : ( I do have a new 6V so add a 1.5 ohm resister and recheck. It fires right off accelerates and runs good, Johnny popper has left the building : )

This is about haft throttle set at 2/0 breaker breaker we got it going on looks like a ark welder.

mvphoto112150.jpg

I gotta get me some cotter pins I don't have any that small. He said his farther had it completely rebuilt 25 years ago but don't know who did the restoration. It had no brakes both hubs leaking oil. I think the axles and one hub is usable. I only had parts to do one side in stock so will knock that side out and order the parts for the other side. Who ever did the job cleaned and painted everything down to the bolts. I replace the outer seal installed a new hub all I did to the rest was clean it, taint she purty.

mvphoto112151.jpg

(quoted from post at 09:07:59 12/08/23) Hi Hobo, is the centrifugal advance in good order? Jim

If you are offering advice all's good now the coil was breaking down. Somebody once said a ohm meter can tell you the coils bad but can't tell ya its good< I happen to know that guy well : ). Another guy said those coils are robust he did not have a bag of tricks.

If I were lost this would be an issue too many cooks would spoil the broth : ( as well as having to much information on all the possible issues. Stay your coarse and prove one at a time each system is operating as it should life will be good. (unless its a front mount dist on a N) : (

Being the lucky man I am I have got front mounts back to back with the other having the dreaded electronic ignition. Unlike a points ignition all I had to do was use my bag of tricks to prove good spark the dist did not have to come off so add that to the advantage of EI.

I ran into that same coil problem a couple years ago on full rebuild of a late 8N which included a new coil. Rechecked every thing, cam timing, valve lash, points and distributor timing. The coil tested good with an ohm meter but was junk.

Mark

(quoted from post at 09:34:29 12/08/23)

the dreaded electronic ignition.

amen. i am horrified by the zero times i've had to mess with my front mount since i put a 91247 in it.

:eek: :shock:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back