Buying a Torque Wrench... First Time!

Horsez2

New User
Hello Everyone!

I am looking to hopefully purchase an IH 504 and am in the market for a new torque wrench! I already have dewalt batteries so I'd like to stick with them for now due to price of buying new batteries for a different brand. No i do not have capabilities for air wrenches. I have one manual click style wrench but I'd like a electric powered one for other applications. I don't know what torque I'd need to work on a tractor of this size.

What torque do I need to change tires/do normal maintenance on a tractor of this size? I will add that I am a relative noob when it comes to working on tractors and engines so I'd be using it for maintenance not tearing apart and rebuilding engines/trans etc.

Please keep in mind that money is very tight for me right now so I'm not looking for most expensive/best. I'm jsut looking for something that'll do the job more times than not.

So far my options are
1 - 3/8" DCF890B max torque 150ft-lbs 139$
2- 1/2" DCF891B 600 ft-lbs max torque & 800 ft-lbs. max breakaway torque 199$
3 - 7/16" DCF898B Fastening torque of 700 ft lbs & breakaway torque of 1200 ft lbs 232$
4 - 1/2" DCF900B 1030 ft-lbs. of max fastening torque and 1400 ft-lbs. of max breakaway torque 299$
5- 3/4" DCF897B 700 ft. lbs. of MAX torque and 1,200 ft. lbs. of MAX breakaway torque 299$

Thanks ya'll for your time and help!

Hello Everyone!

I am looking to hopefully purchase an IH 504 and am in the market for a new torque wrench! I already have dewalt batteries so I'd like to stick with them for now due to price of buying new batteries for a different brand. No i do not have capabilities for air wrenches. I have one manual click style wrench but I'd like a electric powered one for other applications. I don't know what torque I'd need to work on a tractor of this size.

What torque do I need to change tires/do normal maintenance on a tractor of this size? I will add that I am a relative noob when it comes to working on tractors and engines so I'd be using it for maintenance not tearing apart and rebuilding engines/trans etc.

Please keep in mind that money is very tight for me right now so I'm not looking for most expensive/best. I'm jsut looking for something that'll do the job more times than not.

So far my options are
3 - 7/16" DCF898B Fastening torque of 700 ft lbs & breakaway torque of 1200 ft lbs 232$
4 - 1/2" DCF900B 1030 ft-lbs. of max fastening torque and 1400 ft-lbs. of max breakaway torque 299$
5- 3/4" DCF897B 700 ft. lbs. of MAX torque and 1,200 ft. lbs. of MAX breakaway torque 299$

Realistically, if you're going to do a lot of wrenching, and must have an impact wrench, you would need both a 3/8 and a 1/2 inch. A 1/2 inch impact can easily twist off smaller bolts.

That being said, you don't have to have an impact wrench to get the job done. Lots of mechanics have gotten it done for years without one.

Personally, if you have to have an impact wrench, I'd go looking for a corded impact instead of a cordless. Harbor Freight has a 1/2 inch Chicago Electric brand for 29.99 right now. I have one. It works fine. Best part is you can by 6 of them for less than the price of the cheapest 1/2 inch one you listed. And, you never have to worry about whether the battery is charged.

Last edited:
Realistically, if you're going to do a lot of wrenching, and must have an impact wrench, you would need both a 3/8 and a 1/2 inch. A 1/2 inch impact can easily twist off smaller bolts.

That being said, you don't have to have an impact wrench to get the job done. Lots of mechanics have gotten it done for years without one.

Personally, if you have to have an impact wrench, I'd go looking for a corded impact instead of a cordless. Harbor Freight has a 1/2 inch Chicago Electric brand for 29.99 right now. I have one. It works fine. Best part is you can by 6 of them for less than the price of the cheapest 1/2 inch one you listed. And, you never have to worry about whether the battery is charged.
Thanks! However I would prefer a cordless in case anything happens out in the fields. I need an impact for some work on a smaller JD mower as well.

Do you know the max torque i shoudl have for a IH 504 to do things like changing wheels/etc? General maintenance.

#2 would be a midrange and your best choice since you only want 1. Make sure it is brushless.

I have Milwaukee fuels myself. The 3/8 won't break loose most lug nuts on an automobile much less a tractor so it's pert near useless. My 1/2 high torque will take care of anything but it's heavy and you can't really use it to finish tightening stuff without breaking it. The 1/2 midrange is ideal. It will break loose and tighten most all normal stuff.

Hello Everyone!

So far my options are

You will need more than two torque wrenches, a 3/8 and 1/2. I would go with a good name brand precession on the 3/8 and till you can do better a cheap beam on the 1/2.

Impacts, I brought the big 1/2" its not user friendly. I got a mid torque 1/2" since I got the mid torque its rare I use the BIG'N. The mid torque across the board is going to come in handy if it does get it apart break out a breaker bar.

To get the most out of any impact you will need impact sockets.

Hello Everyone!

So far my options are

Are you looking at torque wrenches, cordless impact wrenches, or both?

You mention you have a manual click type wrench, which sounds like you have a torque wrench, but I wonder if you are talking about a common ratchet in a socket set, when you finish the sentence by saying you'd like an electric powered one for other applications.

For cordless go Dewalt as you have batteries, as has been suggested. The half inch 600/800 will do most things for you. I would rule the 7/16 drive out right away due to needing odd sockets. If you already have a 1/4" impact driver with a 3/8" drive bit for sockets, it will do a lot of smaller fasteners to go along with the larger impact wrench. Some may laugh at this but if there is a good pawn shop near you, check it out they might have a deal on a used Dewalt impact. One near here warranties things for 30 days, sometimes more.

Are you looking at torque wrenches, cordless impact wrenches, or both?

You mention you have a manual click type wrench, which sounds like you have a torque wrench, but I wonder if you are talking about a common ratchet in a socket set, when you finish the sentence by saying you'd like an electric powered one for other applications.

For cordless go Dewalt as you have batteries, as has been suggested. The half inch 600/800 will do most things for you. I would rule the 7/16 drive out right away due to needing odd sockets. If you already have a 1/4" impact driver with a 3/8" drive bit for sockets, it will do a lot of smaller fasteners to go along with the larger impact wrench. Some may laugh at this but if there is a good pawn shop near you, check it out they might have a deal on a used Dewalt impact. One near here warranties things for 30 days, sometimes more.
Sorry I should've gotten my words straight! I do have a 3/8" craftsman torque wrench but was looking for a cordless impact wrench. I will be getting impact sockets for it lol.

Thanks for your recommendations! They're appreciated!

I have 891 and 900 1/2" impacts.

The 900 is very powerful and will remove the toughest bolts and lug nuts. I have used it on just about every truck made except for ones that requires a 3/4" drive socket. It has four settings that can adjust the amount of tightening torque from snug to maximum. They work best with 5 amp hour or higher batteries (I use 6 and 8 amp batteries). Variable speed trigger will let you run any bolt or nut up slowly to keep from twisting them off.

The 891 is smaller in both size and weight. It is not built as good nor will hold up like the 900. They are good for smaller stuff like assembly work. The smaller size does allow them to be used in tighter places. They have three torque settings. 4 and 5 amp batteries work good.

If I had to only choose one. It would be the 900.

Set it up with good batteries and chargers. Then buy the other 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" impact tool only when the come on sale. They all have their place and all of them are very useful if used within their range. The 1/4" is the most versatile. For they are used for just about anything from decking to roofing and everything in between.

Hello Everyone!

So far my options are

One caution. The impact wrench will not act like a torque wrench in any way. They are used to remove and replace fasteners beu when replacing, they are set to a low force and the fastener is tightened using a torque wrench to final tightness. I appologize if this seems like an insult, but the clarity is important. jim

One caution. The impact wrench will not act like a torque wrench in any way. They are used to remove and replace fasteners beu when replacing, they are set to a low force and the fastener is tightened using a torque wrench to final tightness. I appologize if this seems like an insult, but the clarity is important. jim
Yes thank you! I did know this but failed to be clear with my words in the original post! Thanks for pointing it out! :D

Yes thank you! I did know this but failed to be clear with my words in the original post! Thanks for pointing it out! :D
I have the 1/2 heavy De Walt battery impact wrench. It will tighten most bolts and nuts and also remove most of them. You sometimes need a breaker bar to get them started. It is heavy to use but I find I use it more than my air impact since I got it, even at the shop where I have access to air. I also have a 3/6 air impact ratchet type I use often on smaller bolts.

Hello Everyone!

So far my options are

A major factor is your age and future plans. Younger guys don't fully appreciate the impact of arthritis.

I am a 24yr old woman lol but I do have joint issues from a connective tissue disorder so I relate.

Hello Everyone!

So far my options are

Buy a cheap small generator and a electric impact. electric impact is stronger and better and cheaper than a cordless. I have often taken my generator out to the field if you can't bring equipment home. WIN win in my opinion.

There is a cordless impact wrench that will do precise torques, but it is VERY expensive.

Hello Everyone!

So far my options are

You can do small jobs with a big tractor but you can't do big jobs with a small tractor. Same goes for impact wrenches.

If you're going to buy one, I'd go with the DCF900. You just have to learn to take it easy on the ugga-duggas for most jobs, but when you need them you'll have them.

There really isn't anything that requires the amount of torque that the DCF900B can produce on a 504 to tighten, but all the ugga-duggas will come in handy to rattle loose bolts that haven't been loosened in half a century.

Check out Torque Test Channel on youtube for honest reviews and comparisons of everything you've listed.

I am a 24yr old woman lol but I do have joint issues from a connective tissue disorder so I relate.
Then you definitely need to get the midrange impact. It weighs 4 lb + a couple more for the battery. The 900 weighs 6.4 + a couple more for the battery. Makes a huge difference in comfort.

Then you definitely need to get the midrange impact. It weighs 4 lb + a couple more for the battery. The 900 weighs 6.4 + a couple more for the battery. Makes a huge difference in comfort.
YES!!! my 1/2 air impact wrench is too big for jobs that involve a lot of screws or nuts that the 3/8 would handle easily. Just sitting here today recovering from my sixth arthritis related surgery yesterday.

Thanks! However I would prefer a cordless in case anything happens out in the fields. I need an impact for some work on a smaller JD mower as well.

Do you know the max torque i shoudl have for a IH 504 to do things like changing wheels/etc? General maintenance.
I have a Ryobi cordless impact wrench. Three settings, highest rated at 300 ft lbs. When I bought it, I thought it would be handy around the shop, but I didn't expect it to compete with my 1200 ft lb air impact. I haven't used the air impact since I got the Ryobi.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back