Can someone ID my tractor please. Also a flywheel question.

Camy13588

New User
So I picked up this Fordson tractor from my girlfriends dad. It was only 300 bucks and in the words of diesel creek I couldn’t afford not to buy it LOL. The serial number that ive found on the side of the block is *8NI04370* (hopefully that is the one needed to check info). I think I’ve narrowed it down from 1948-1954. Any help with a more accurate ID would be greatly appreciated. Next question is the flywheel, there’s a 2-3 inch long section where the teeth are worn/stripped from previous owners towing it around trying to jump start it. I’m wondering if anyone has P/N’s or leads to a flywheel. Lastly (as long as the picture properly uploads) I know it’s painted the wrong colours LMAO (the colour choice may even offend some people LOL) that was not my doing whatsoever. What would be the period correct colour options for my tractor? I’m a mechanically inclined 23 year old truck driver hoping to bring this sweet little tractor back to life!! I know there’s a lot of info to unpack here but hopefully you guys can make sense of it and help a fella out.
Any info or time spent helping me is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Attachments

• F974A743-B080-4E0B-B3D0-3844F754412E.jpeg
    F974A743-B080-4E0B-B3D0-3844F754412E.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 27
So I picked up this Fordson tractor from my girlfriends dad. It was only 300 bucks and in the words of diesel creek I couldn’t afford not to buy it LOL. The serial number that ive found on the side of the block is *8NI04370* (hopefully that is the one needed to check info). I think I’ve narrowed it down from 1948-1954. Any help with a more accurate ID would be greatly appreciated. Next question is the flywheel, there’s a 2-3 inch long section where the teeth are worn/stripped from previous owners towing it around trying to jump start it. I’m wondering if anyone has P/N’s or leads to a flywheel. Lastly (as long as the picture properly uploads) I know it’s painted the wrong colours LMAO (the colour choice may even offend some people LOL) that was not my doing whatsoever. What would be the period correct colour options for my tractor? I’m a mechanically inclined 23 year old truck driver hoping to bring this sweet little tractor back to life!! I know there’s a lot of info to unpack here but hopefully you guys can make sense of it and help a fella out.
Thanks
It is NOT a Fordson! It is a Ford model 8N and probably a 1948.

Thanks
Welcome to the Forums.

I see Bob beat me to it, you have a Ford 8N, not a Fordson. You could use the Report button and ask a Moderator to move this post over to the Ford 9N, 2N, & 8N Forum. There is a wealth in knowledge on these tractors there (and YT in general). And the colors will equally be insulting to Ford and John Deere lovers.

Welcome to the Forums.

I see Bob beat me to it, you have a Ford 8N, not a Fordson. You could use the Report button and ask a Moderator to move this post over to the Ford 9N, 2N, & 8N Forum. There is a wealth in knowledge on these tractors there (and YT in general). And the colors will equally be insulting to Ford and John Deere lovers.
Also the starter ring gear is a replaceable part on the flywheel, it is likely all you will need to fix that part of things. This site's store sells them.

Capture2.JPG

It's a Ford 8n with at least a 2n hood. Might have other incorrect parts. 8n had a 4 speed tranny the 2n had a 3speed.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back