Case 1816c loses power and dies when drive pumps are engaged.

So, I have a Case 1816c skid steer. Yesterday, my son got it stuck in the mud, but I managed to wrestle it out. As he was driving it back to the garage, there was a loud bang or clank, and then it bogged down until we put the break on. Let it sit a minute, tried again, same thing. If the drive pumps aren’t engaged, it runs just fine, but if they are engaged it bogs down immediately and eventually dies. I read a similar post where the guy replaces the pumps, but still had the same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think you may be right, or maybe the reverse. I was just sitting in it, idling, thinking, and it started to jerk around ever so slightly like it was trying to engage.

Reach down in there and see if both pumps turn by hand . If only one is locked up it will still stall the engine.
I don’t get the part about “putting the brake on” the parking latches don’t have anything to do with the pump system.

Reach down in there and see if both pumps turn by hand . If only one is locked up it will still stall the engine.
I don’t get the part about “putting the brake on” the parking latches don’t have anything to do with the pump system.
If you try to move when the lock is on it will kill the engine, at least on my 1818 model.

If you try to move when the lock is on it will kill the engine, at least on my 1818 model.
It should still run with the pumps engaged.
Whether the lock is on or not.
He said , “when I try to engage the pumps “ which, on a 1816c, means tightening the drive belts.
Unless he means something else and the pumps are already turning with the engine… since the pump control actually looks like a parking brake, he’s going to have to drop some more clues before anyone knows what is actually happening.

It should still run with the pumps engaged.
Whether the lock is on or not.
He said , “when I try to engage the pumps “ which, on a 1816c, means tightening the drive belts.
Unless he means something else and the pumps are already turning with the engine… since the pump control actually looks like a parking brake, he’s going to have to drop some more clues before anyone knows what is actually my 1818 also has the belt tightener, but also has aa lock on the safety bar that locks the hydraulics and drive so it won't move when your out of it.

We still don’t if he means by “engaging “ is moving the levers to make the machine move, or “engaging “ is connecting the pumps to the engine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back