Case 430 Hydraulics

jakemw

New User
Hello -- I am the owner of a Case 430 (gas) with #22 loader and backhoe. It's been a great machine so far, and I used it for a few projects when I purchased it. It's been sitting most of the summer and I went to do some maintenance before putting it back to work, and I ran into a few things that I couldn't figure out on my own or from user manuals. This forum has been a great resource as a lurker / reader, so I'm hoping some of you can help out with these more specific questions.

1. Some hydraulic oil has definitely leaked out while it's been sitting, and the torque tube dipstick is currently dry -- clearly the level is too low. However, I'm a little confused after tracing the hydraulic lines on the machine, since I was not able to find any lines connecting the torque tube to the hydraulic pump. What is the typical routing for the pump to draw oil from the torque tube? I did find a mysterious homemade-looking fill port welded to one side of the loader frame, near hard lines that seem to run from the loader frame up to the pump. Could this be meant to be filled with hydraulic oil in addition to (or possibly instead of) the torque tube?

2. My tractor also does not have a hydraulic oil filter located under the gas tank which I've seen mentioned on this forum and in the owner's manual. It appears to have a remotely mounted filter of some sort, which I haven't taken apart yet. Does anyone know what type of filter cartridge should be in here? Is it the same element as the more common filter setup?

3. The owner's manual specifies TCH oil for the power steering system, but I've seen ATF or motor oil recommended in a few places on this forum. I need to top up my power steering to hopefully get it working again; it's a single piston with a remote-mounted reservoir. Does anyone have a definitive answer on the correct fluid to use?

Mystery fill port on the side of the loader frame:
cvphoto165643.jpg

Is this the hydraulic filter, if I don't have the typical one? What type of cartridge goes in it?
cvphoto165645.jpg

Power steering setup, for reference. TCH fluid or ATF?
cvphoto165644.jpg

The tractor at work, just for show.
cvphoto165646.jpg

The torque tube does not serve as the reservoir for the hydraulics but must be kept full to lubricate the shaft bearings that power the transmission and lube the shuttle and lo/hi range box. The power steering reservoir needs an oil like TCH or a power steering oil would be acceptable. TCH may be just a bit thicker but if the pump and cylinder system is in good condition, either would be acceptable. The filter MAY be a cleanable screen type or a standard paper pleat filter, both types are available for that housing. Edited to add that the torque tube uses a light oil, no 90 wt, although I lean toward Case's lubes , a good universal tractor hydraulic fluid would be good there.

This post was edited by mEl on 10/31/2023 at 04:59 am.

The ''mystery port'' on the side of the loader frame is the fill location for the loader and backhoe hydraulic oil. The crankshaft driven front pump (under the radiator) uses that oil reservoir. The oil level should be in the horizontal pipe coming out from the reservoir (frame).

Thank you Jim, I was trying to answer all his concerns in one post and that got by Me. Glad this is a group effort.

Like others said the filter might be a washable filter ,,.. as long as its not broken ,,, ice (from water condensation )you should be able to clean it with gas ,,.. or better yet ETHANOL ,,.and finish with simple Green rinse ,,. The filter can be matched with a equal at NAPA ..

Thanks all -- this is very helpful in understanding how to take care of this tractor. I'll try cleaning the filter, and will top up the loader/backhoe oil, torque tube, and power steering. Hopefully that will get everything back in shape!

Your 430 is newer than my 300 but your loader looks a little different, I assume they will still be close enough. Your unit should have two hydraulic systems, one on the tractor and one on the loader utilizing the engine front PTO. Both have their own filters, my tractor filter is hard to get to so i assume that's where somebody relocated yours. The loader pump should have a shaft coming from the front of the engine. The filter on mine is obvious as a cylindrical pot above the pump. Grab an owners manual and read it, great info and explanation of the tractor. I used ISO 46 oil in my loader unit sprung for THC in the torque tube although I will prob replace it with a cheaper tractor supply oil in the future. The manuals for mine gave case part numbers and i crossed them to good brands (donaldson or baldwin) and sourced them off ebay (you can then use the reorder function).

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back