case 580ck rear axle nut torque ??

logger lee

New User
putting rear axle bearing in a i think it's a 1968 model case 580ck backhoe need to know how much to torque the rear axle nut would greatly appreciate it if someone could help

Last edited:
putting rear axle bearing in a i think it's a 1968 model case 580ck backhoe need to know how much to torque the rear axle nut would greatly appreciate it if someone could help
Welcome to the forums.

If you are asking about the 1-1/2" fine thread nut on the inner end of the axle, it does not get torqued. You tighten it as needed to set bearing preload.

The service manual gives the steps to do that. the first method they describe is for when the axle housing is off the differential case, you loosen the nut to have a slight bit of bearing free play, then check the torque needed to turn the axle. Once you have that "seal drag" turning torque you tighten the nut until the turning torque is 20-to-30-inch pounds more that the seal drag torque you found. Then you have to mark the nut in relation to the cotter pin hole and count any exposed threads beyond the nut so you can disassemble the drive gear from the axle for installation into the differential. When assembling you tighten the nut to the marked/noted position.

The other method is for when the axle is installed in the differential, you loosen the nut to get the slight free play. Turn the axle to find the turning torque of the axle and differential. Then tighten the nut to add the 20-to-30-inch pounds of torque to that number. Installing the cotter pin when preload is set is the last step in both cases.

Welcome to the forums.

If you are asking about the 1-1/2" fine thread nut on the inner end of the axle, it does not get torqued. You tighten it as needed to set bearing preload.

The service manual gives the steps to do that. the first method they describe is for when the axle housing is off the differential case, you loosen the nut to have a slight bit of bearing free play, then check the torque needed to turn the axle. Once you have that "seal drag" turning torque you tighten the nut until the turning torque is 20-to-30-inch pounds more that the seal drag torque you found. Then you have to mark the nut in relation to the cotter pin hole and count any exposed threads beyond the nut so you can disassemble the drive gear from the axle for installation into the differential. When assembling you tighten the nut to the marked/noted position.

The other method is for when the axle is installed in the differential, you loosen the nut to get the slight free play. Turn the axle to find the turning torque of the axle and differential. Then tighten the nut to add the 20-to-30-inch pounds of torque to that number. Installing the cotter pin when preload is set is the last step in both cases.
The last method you described is exactly what I need I'm waiting for a shop manual but need to use it asap and thank you I'm very grateful for you taking time to reply

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back