Case Ingersoll 226 . Any fans of this tractor on the site ?

DigJoe

New User
Got an opportunity to pick up this tractor with a snow blade , four foot snowblower , winch , hydra bagger , and mower deck for $500 . It has sat for four years but the owner says it ran when parked . Are there any users here that can weigh in on the good and bad about this tractor ? Thanks .
363382124_10224427812466700_140072822502189681_n.jpg

We have owned 9 or 10 of them over the years and still using a 4018 Ingersoll. You asked for pluses and minuses.
Pluses
Onan Engine
Heavy duty
Mower decks do an A1 job of cutting grass.
Cons
In spite of what those who bleed Fambo Red tell you the transmission speed control stinks, especially so of those earlier ones without the holding valve for going down hill. You must keep your hand on the speed lever and jockey it continually to keep it running somewhat at the same speed unless your yard is perfectly level. Luckily, wide open in low range is about right for mowing and they will kinda run the same speed when wide open. High range is useless for anything but driving down the road.
Like I said, we have owned a bunch of them but I'm not going to blow smoke up your posterior about the hydraulic transmission. They are heavy duty and never go bad but speed control absolutely stinks, there's a reason nobody else copied it.
Ready to duck the lightning bolts sent me way by the fanatics, LOL.

We have owned 9 or 10 of them over the years and still using a 4018 Ingersoll. You asked for pluses and minuses.
Pluses
Onan Engine
Heavy duty
Cons
In spite of what those who bleed Fambo Red tell you the transmission speed control stinks, especially so of those earlier ones without the holding valve for going down hill. You must keep your hand on the speed lever and jockey it continually to keep it running somewhat at the same speed unless your yard is perfectly level. Luckily, wide open in low range is about right for mowing and they will kinda run the same speed when wide open. High range is useless for anything but driving down the road.
Like I said, we have owned a bunch of them but I'm not going to blow smoke up your posterior about the hydraulic transmission. They are heavy duty and never go bad but speed control absolutely stinks, there's a reason nobody else copied it.
I have several late 60s/early 70s Cub Cadet hydrostatics and while I really like them, their speed control could have been better too. Especially after they get to be 50 years or more old and things get worn! I know nothing of the Ingersoll tractors, but your description of having to hold onto the speed lever and constantly adjusting it is something I'm well acquainted with while using my old hydrostatic Cub Cadets.

You can sell the blade, blower, bagger an winch for 3 times that price and keep the mower and deck and everyone would get a smoking deal.

Pluses
Onan Engine
Heavy duty
Cons
"They are heavy duty and never go bad but speed control absolutely stinks, there's a reason nobody else copied it."

I have owned several and that has been my experience, as well. A friend of mine rode his pre "holding valve" unit down sloped lake shore and into the water.

They are "hydraulic drive" with a "flow divider" for speed control vs. the true "hydrostatic drives" used by the other players in the game.

Outside of wanting to own an oddball "collector's item", or simply being a contrarian I don't know why anyone would want to own one as a "working tractor".

I have several late 60s/early 70s Cub Cadet hydrostatics and while I really like them, their speed control could have been better too. Especially after they get to be 50 years or more old and things get worn! I know nothing of the Ingersoll tractors, but your description of having to hold onto the speed lever and constantly adjusting it is something I'm well acquainted with while using my old hydrostatic Cub Cadets.
The speed problem on the older Case tractors is in another league compared to a hydro Cub, which is mostly fixable by repairing what is called the "trunion" which dampens the lever motion before it reaches the transmission control shaft.

The Onan engine would be a major negative to me, especially since you're buying non-running. If the Onan runs with a carb clean and ignition work, great. But if you find out it was parked due to an engine mechanical problem, it's a parts machine. Onan parts are higher than a bat's behind, if you can even find them.

Bit, at $500, even if the engine is junk and you part out, you'll still be golden.

The Onan engine would be a major negative to me, especially since you're buying non-running. If the Onan runs with a carb clean and ignition work, great. But if you find out it was parked due to an engine mechanical problem, it's a parts machine. Onan parts are higher than a bat's behind, if you can even find them.

Bit, at $500, even if the engine is junk and you part out, you'll still be golden.
Yes,l I agree, I should have added the Onan is a plus if in good shape,, a big minus if not.

Got an opportunity to pick up this tractor with a snow blade , four foot snowblower , winch , hydra bagger , and mower deck for $500 . It has sat for four years but the owner says it ran when parked . Are there any users here that can weigh in on the good and bad about this tractor ? Thanks .
View attachment 70137
I had a 446 for several years before I got my first Kubota (B7200). I really liked it and the speed control, as others said, could have been better. That being said, my yard isn't flat and I never had it run away from me. It just took some getting use to. Mine had the 16hp onan and it started pushing oil thru the breather into the carb. I figured the engine was tired (I bought it used) so I put a short block in it ($600) at the time. I saved the old engine and sold it with the tractor when I got the 7200. Found out later the only problem with the original engine was the front main seal was bad causing it to pressurize the crankcase.

View attachment 70137
We have a 224 yes the valving for the forward reverse and the hydraulic control is leaking a bit but for all we cut the 5 foot deck is handy.
Even made a dozer blade for it. Had to lift the top of the 14 hp., and the side plate and readjust the decompression mec., last year. other than that satisfied with what we have.
Wm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back