CDL For Tractor Hauling

1970-1655

Lot of discussion all over the internet about DOT getting pickier so I thought of getting my CDL. I have hauled tractors to and from shows for years on farm plates with no issues. Now this. I might get a ribbon for showing a tractor. Then someone tells me part of the driving test is actually parallel parking my semi. Do they require that? I have never in my 68 years seen anyone parallel park one of those things. Funny enough watching weekend boaters try to back down the ramp.

Been a few years ago, but I had to parallel park a semi with a 40 ft. trailer behind it to please the examiner. He had me drive to a huge deserted parking lot and he set up four cones next to a curb. He told me that I would get two tries to do it perfect or I would fail. Being somewhat nervous, the first time I failed. I took a deep breath and the second time was perfect. My examiner was like an IRS agent giving an audit, stern and direct, UNTIL I had passed and we were driving back to the DMV station. Then he was a good 'ol boy who was joking and asking me questions about myself.
Here's are two questions that they like to ask when you are driving: Question #1. Exactly how tall (in feet and inches) is the rig we are riding in? Question #2: Exactly high tall was that overpass that we JUST went under?

I parallel park a 53ft trailer and sleeper cab conventional tractor from time to time. Not really much different than backing into a dock.

had a CDL for 40 years hazmat drove triples doubles and finally truck and trailer fuel taker I retired in 08 and got rid of my cdl the reason I did was if you are in a accident and end up in court that cdl can and will be use against you as in you are a professional driver and you should have known better at this or that plus I,m not saying your drinking and driving but with a CDL it is .04 not 08 you just walk to close to the beer rack and you screwed just my 2 cents

Step 1 is forward through an offset to the left. Then back through the same course for your "parallel park". Just can't go out the back. Hardest maneuver is the alley dock.

These days I think more people struggle with the pretrip inspection than anything else.

I don’t remember having to parallel park. I drove a semi for the first time one day and passed the test the next day though I was having a terrible time with the gears. It was a nine speed 60 series Detroit, possibly one of the hardest engine/tranny combination to shift in the modern trucking world. Add to that a case of the nerves. I think she felt sorry for me and passed me knowing I would catch on later. The examiner said most farmers don’t have any trouble passing no the driving test.

Here in Missouri unless they have changed the law if it is your truck and trailer and you do not drive for hire you do not need a CDL even if you are running an 18 wheeler. Ya if you cross state lines well that is different.

When I got my CDL I got lucky and grand fathered into it

I don't think you need a CDL to haul your own property. I have known people driving semi's get stopped and the cop told them they did not need a CDL when not hauling for hire. C stands for commercial, you are not commercial. A lot of people over think things. I have seen people on here say you can't use straps, you have to have 3/8 chains etc. I have driven a truck for over 25 yrs. When I hauled steel and machinery, I used 5/16 grade 70 chains. The federal law says the total rating of the tie downs must equal half the weight of the load. It don't specify straps or chains. Say a guy today with 2 coils held on with straps. I guessed he had aluminum. When I hauled aluminum they made you use straps, chains will damage it. I have not known of anybody getting a ticket for hauling their own stuff with out a CDL. I do carry a copy of the federal rule book in my truck and you need to know the rules, the police don't always know. I have had to point rules out to them before. I had an Indiana state trooper threaten to cite me for not having a log book 100 mile from home. The law says you don't need one until you exceed 150 air miles. I had to get my book and show him.

How much weight are you hauling? I know the DOT has some rules about the weight of the tractors - and the number of tiedowns you need to secure them.

Federal law requires a CDL if over 26,000 GVWR. State laws can be more stringent than the federal law but can not over ride federal motor carrier laws.

Mark

You absolutely need a CDL if your GVW is over 26,000 lbs. I have a hobby exemption from the Oregon Motor Carrier Division that I carry in my truck with the required medical exam certificate. As long as I only haul my toys I don't need to pay weight for mile taxes or keep a log. I have only stopped at a scale once and was told by the weigh master please don't stop, you are blocking traffic. I figure I will keep it till I can't pass the medical exam. Oh and has been stated the limit on blood alcohol is 0.04 so don't even smell a beer and drive...

As far as the parallel parking, all I had to to was back my truck and trailer in to a "loading dock" type parking space. Took me two tries but I passed. Every state is different. You need to go to your local DMV office and pick up a copy of the CDL manual. It will tell you just exactly you will need to do to pass the test.

Good Luck

OTJ

As a former trainer for the Army civ semi you do have to parallel park but only the trailer has to be in parking spot like jackknife it in and trailer can not be out of lines sides or back.. If that makes any scents never did to me but I just went by rules..

I forgot to mention the medial card if your BMI is out of wack I think it had to be around 35 or you blood pressure is high or your diabetic on insulin shots you will not get a CDL

That is why I stated in Missouri only. A farmer in MO can drive an 18 wheeler in state and not need a CDL as long as it is his rig doing his farm stuff or other such private owned truck.

Again depends on the state laws. In Missouri at least when I got my CDL as long as I did not work for hire and used my rig for farm I did not need a CDL but because I was doing hired stuff with my equipment I did get one even if I may not have needed it. A farm owned rig that is not for hire here in MO does not need a CDL as long as with in the state

You do not need a CDL if hauling your own stuff and not making money. It can be a straight truck or combination tractor trailer as long as your not in commerce (making money). A comment was made regarding a log book, if you are in commerce (making money) you need a log book for vehicles over 10,000 lbs GVW to 26,000 getting the 150 air mile radius. If you are driving a vehicle over 26,001 you only get the 100 air mile radius from Your Home base.

A lot of it depends on what state(s) you plan to drive in as some laws vary state to state, some have a very gray areas in their law(s) where every police officer can interpret the law(s) in their own way. I'm glad I don't have a cdl anymore, especially when cities, and counties figured out that they can make money on their own interpretation of dot laws.

Lots of debate because every state is different and every state's interpretation is different. Kentucky actually had to create a 26000 pound farm plate because Illinois (youre within the 150 air mile radius at the grain terminals on the Ohio River) required extra stuff for a standard KY pickup truck farm plate (38,000 plus 10% allowance). Bottom line is be real sure about each state you drive in, and don't worry about the rest. Even though its federal, so long as you do not enter interstate commerce you are governed by your home state's rules. That's why one of the questions on your DOT number application is if you interstate or intra state only. I've got an unrestricted CDL class B but do not have interstate operating authority (I used to but the headaches were way too much, fuel permits, log books, electronic log books). The only reason I keep the CDL is for local hauls of gravel which for some odd reason KY doesn't exempt. We run a fleet of trucks in state, 6 drivers, 10 trucks, from half ton pickups to 18 wheelers. Everything licensed with 38,000 pound Ky standard farm plates except one road tractor and its 80,000 pound farm limited. I'm the only CDL holder, (everyone has medical cards though, for trailers 10,000 pounds and over) but we operate in state only. So, I can give you the back and forth of Kentucky and the border states within 150 miles but that's it.
Kentucky DOT Handbook for Farmers

In Indiana you don't if it's ag related and you are hauling your own products only. 150 mile radius I believe also applies. But as others have said every state is different.

(quoted from post at 17:37:23 12/21/17) had a CDL for 40 years hazmat drove triples doubles and finally truck and trailer fuel taker I retired in 08 and got rid of my cdl the reason I did was if you are in a accident and end up in court that cdl can and will be use against you as in you are a professional driver and you should have known better at this or that plus I,m not saying your drinking and driving but with a CDL it is .04 not 08 you just walk to close to the beer rack and you screwed just my 2 cents

Yep! I dropped my CDL for basically the same reasons. Also because I got tired of jumping through the hoops for the medical card. First they said I needed one, then I didn't need one, and then maybe. Still have my dually and gooseneck trailer, and I still use both but not very often. I'll take my chances with a regular driver's license.

I'll throw another wrench into the fire. Are you required to have an ELD? Theoretically, If you are over 26001 pounds, and are making any money, IE winning a prize of $10, and drive anything with a motor newer then a 2000 year model, you are required to have an electronic log.
I have a CDL, no med card. Got tired of paying the extra money every 2 years. I drive a 1 ton dually and pull a 32 foot triple axle trailer. I refuse to stop at a scale, they can run me down if they want. When they start making motorhomes stop, then I will. So far I have not been run down. By the way I am running farm plates, and have been in every state between the Mississippi and the Rockies with it.
If I didn't drive a BIG truck once in a while for a buddy, I would have dropped the CDL YEARS ago. Just costs extra money, you can only have 1 drink at the watering hole, and lots more liability if ever in an accident.

(quoted from post at 21:05:02 12/21/17) Lot of discussion all over the internet about DOT getting pickier so I thought of getting my CDL. I have hauled tractors to and from shows for years on farm plates with no issues. Now this. I might get a ribbon for showing a tractor. Then someone tells me part of the driving test is actually parallel parking my semi. Do they require that? I have never in my 68 years seen anyone parallel park one of those things. Funny enough watching weekend boaters try to back down the ramp.

I swear this comes up about once a month. As a retired NYSP DOT Trooper, let me encourage you to go to your LOCAL State Police or whom ever it is that does truck enforcement, explain exactly what you are doing and what your concerns are and get the information you need IN WRITING. If you don't meet the definition of a CMV then you don't need to worry about the FMCSR. Licensing is a State issue and some states have exemptions and restrictions other state don't have. DO NOT, under any circumstances, depend on information you get on a page like this to be even close to accurate for your specific situation. A great deal of my time in DOT enforcement was spent with people like you, getting then up to speed so they didn't end up with a hand full of tickets through ignorance. Trust me, this is the best advice you'll ever get in this line.

My grandson a farm boy went to Kansas a couple of years ago to go on a combine run. He started working in town waiting for the run to start. He said every night when he got back from work he took a truck and trailer and went out and practiced, he had never driven one before. Said he practiced parallel parking every night. And when he took the test in Kansas he had to Parallel park the rig around other vehicles. He passed the test and when the combine run started, He was hauling over width loads and doubles. He's back in NY now and works in excavation, hauling dozers, backhoes and gravel with tractor trailers. and lovin it.

Good advise bret I ran 48 states for 25 years I could not find 2 dot nitwits that could agree on anything they all thought they knew it all which makes it hard to fight a B.S. ticket 30 states away so you just pay it and they know that

We have had a very good response from Maine DOT troopers by having them come to our open house and discuss the regulations with our drivers as well as customers that are interested in learning what is required for hauling there equipment legally and safely. That has been by far our best learning experience as you can get answers to specific situations that you are dealing with.

Mark

1970 1655, This forum is probably the worst possible place to get information about DOT regs. There is a very high proportion of advice given based on hearsay and personal experience. I will offer an example: one answer that you got tells you that you will need electronic logs. Here is what I found on the DOT website:

ELD Rule Exceptions

The following are not required to use ELDs (but carriers may choose to use ELDs even if they are not required):

Drivers who use paper logs no more than 8 days during any 30-day period.
Driveaway-towaway drivers (were the vehicle driven is the commodity) or the vehicle being transported is a motor home or a recreation vehicle trailer (at least one set of wheels of the vehicle being transported must be on the surface while being transported)
Drivers of vehicles manufactured before model year 2000.

This tells you that even if you were further than 150 miles that you would have to be over 150 miles 8 of 30 days.

When you go to the website that Mark posted the link to you can enter searches for whatever you want to know, and save yourself a lot of aggravation.

I still remember DOT pulling me over when I was driving my 1963 Diamond-T they wanted to give me a seat belt ticket but they could not do so since it NEVER had seat belts in it when new. Of course they did give me a ticket for something else but that is DOT they always give you a ticket

(quoted from post at 13:32:39 12/22/17) I still remember DOT pulling me over when I was driving my 1963 Diamond-T they wanted to give me a seat belt ticket but they could not do so since it NEVER had seat belts in it when new. Of course they did give me a ticket for something else but that is DOT they always give you a ticket

Wrong Old, if your equipment is in good condition they are often very free with praise. When I had my truck, I got a level A check a few times ands there was never a problem. One time I got a full bumper to bumper, tarp to rubber and the inspector was giddy he was so happy with my truck. He even gave me a CVSA sticker.

(quoted from post at 12:57:06 12/22/17) Good advise bret I ran 48 states for 25 years I could not find 2 dot nitwits that could agree on anything they all thought they knew it all which makes it hard to fight a B.S. ticket 30 states away so you just pay it and they know that

Grizz, it's not that they're nitwits, it's a matter of training and training and training. You have to keep up with the changes every day and then you have to get the word out to the truckers. And FWIW, the changes in the FMCSR are caused by the TRUCKING INDUSTRY, not the DOT and certainly not the LE community. Any time you see something that makes no sense to you, there's about a 95% chance that an industry rep on the rules board petitioned for the change. ALL the HOS rules are industry generated, same with equipment. But anyway, if the agency the DOT cop works for is lax in training then you are going to get differing answers from different people. Honestly, we spent a LOT of time in training and usually were researching things every single day to make sure we had the straight scoop. It's not an easy job. My state legislature (NY) foolishly thought that by adopting the FMSCR in it's entirety as state law they'd avoid problems with conflicting laws. HA! It opened a gigantic can of worms that resulted in a lot of hate and discontent. Some times you just can't win.

(quoted from post at 12:57:06 12/22/17) Good advise bret I ran 48 states for 25 years I could not find 2 dot nitwits that could agree on anything they all thought they knew it all which makes it hard to fight a B.S. ticket 30 states away so you just pay it and they know that

Grizz, it's not that they're nitwits, it's a matter of training and training and training. You have to keep up with the changes every day and then you have to get the word out to the truckers. And FWIW, the changes in the FMCSR are caused by the TRUCKING INDUSTRY, not the DOT and certainly not the LE community. Any time you see something that makes no sense to you, there's about a 95% chance that an industry rep on the rules board petitioned for the change. ALL the HOS rules are industry generated, same with equipment. But anyway, if the agency the DOT cop works for is lax in training then you are going to get differing answers from different people. Honestly, we spent a LOT of time in training and usually were researching things every single day to make sure we had the straight scoop. It's not an easy job. My state legislature (NY) foolishly thought that by adopting the FMSCR in it's entirety as state law they'd avoid problems with conflicting laws. HA! It opened a gigantic can of worms that resulted in a lot of hate and discontent. Some times you just can't win.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back