Chain saw sharpener

ed12345

Just saw an ad for a Libiyi chain saw sharpener. Price seems very high for what it is. I use a dremel and file to sharpen my chains.

Antoine use this? And is it worth the price

I bought one of those a few years back. It will put a really sharp edge on a chain, but I usually sharpen my chains freehand, after 50+ years of mowing wood I pretty much have the knack (and it's quick).

Just saw an ad for a Libiyi chain saw sharpener. Price seems very high for what it is. I use a dremel and file to sharpen my chains.

I use a dremel and diamond burrs from Amazon.

36pcs High Hardness Diamond Chainsaw Sharpener, Durable Emery Made, Easy to Install, 3 Sizes Titanium Plated Sharpening Wheels for Chainsaw Sharpener, 12 Pcs Each Size(5/32'', 3/16'', 7/32'')​

Attachments

• Diamond burr 41yIiqgJDgL._AC_US100_.jpg
    Diamond burr 41yIiqgJDgL._AC_US100_.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 12

That's a knockoff of a Timberline sharpener and looks just like the Timberline model that I have.

I built my own from some scrap iron and a furnace blower motor. Copied a unit my buddy had, it's worked well for 45 years. I use worn out surface grined wheels.

I bought one last year, it works well. I bought one from Harber Freight years ago. It didn't work that great after I used it for a while. The cutting wheel wore so had to replace cutting wheel. That sharpener is nice because you can use the chainsaw to sharp it. Have to get the chain adaped to that sharpener. once sharped it is easy to use.

It looks similar if not identical to ones on Ebay for a lower price for example see listing 166519263865

Once you use a mechanical sharpener that endures an exact and consistent edge on every cutter . You will wonder why anyone tinkers free hand with a file .

Once you use a mechanical sharpener that endures an exact and consistent edge on every cutter . You will wonder why anyone tinkers free hand with a file .
I had a cheep HF one that worked but felt it took off too much material and had too much sloop.

Did much much better free hand with a dremel and diamond burr like the one mentioned in this thread and or just a file. Less material removed and felt the edge cut better and lasted longer. Probably paid more attention to each tooth and fixed each ones issues

I had a cheep HF one that worked but felt it took off too much material and had too much sloop.

Did much much better free hand with a dremel and diamond burr like the one mentioned in this thread and or just a file. Less material removed and felt the edge cut better and lasted longer. Probably paid more attention to each tooth and fixed each ones issues
How are you taking off too much. That's adjusted by how much you advance the tooth into the wheel. I went with my Speed Sharp because every 4 or five of using a file I needed to have it trued again. I'm bad with a file. I felt my dealer was taking too much off. I don't sell new chains so I only take as much as needed to get the edge. Sometimes I had to go around the chain again be cause one cutter needed a little more.

chain grinder1.jpg

Attachments

• chain grinder1.jpg
    chain grinder1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 8
Probably because the sharpener i had was a cheep one with a lot of slop in it. Advance adjustment and pivot.

Noticed with the dremel or file took off less

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back