Changing 49 8n Steering Box to New Style?

Do You have to change any other parts on steering, other than the box? will the old arms and rods work ? I assume you should reset To-in.
Just BTDT, your best advice is to find a donor tractor (50-52) with all you'll need at your local tractor boneyard. The dash itself has to be modified to let the left pitman arm clear, the pitman arms are not the same, nor are the drag links, but I've heard the links will work if you change sides with them, and do some adjusted. Don't know for sure about that, because I used later ones on mine. Later models do drive and handle a lot better, and it's well worth the effort to make the change.

I put the newer box on my 49 all I did was change links side to side and cut a piece out of dash for link to clear. It steers so much easier now like power steering. Your grease zerts will be on bottom but you can still grease them.

Last edited:
I put the newer box on my 49 all I did was change links side to side and cut a piece out of dash for link to clear. It steers so much easier now like power steering. Your grease zerts will be on bottom but you can still grease them.
MEGA-KUDOS! The early 8N Saginaw Gear Reciprocating Ball Steering Box was a PITA to service. John Smith mentions on his now archived web site at F/FCA his 8N project and that he swapped out an early to a late box and never looked back. He said he'd never do an early one again. Lesson Learned. I altered the 7/16 Hex Bolt on Lube access port on column to acepta ZERK to lube grease with. I use CORNHEAD but some use 00. I laos made some plugs for the early steering box using an NPT retrofitted with a ZERK. NEVER pour hyd oil down the steering wheel acorn nut as shown in the manual unless you want an oily mess to deal with.

Your Mileage May Vary,
Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• 8N STEERING BOX LUBE INSERTS - RETRO -TIM DALEY PG 1.jpg
    8N STEERING BOX LUBE INSERTS - RETRO -TIM DALEY PG 1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 8N STEERING BOX LUBE INSERTS - RETRO -TIM DALEY PG 2.jpg
    8N STEERING BOX LUBE INSERTS - RETRO -TIM DALEY PG 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 8N STEERING BOX LUBE INSERTS - RETRO -TIM DALEY PG 3.jpg
    8N STEERING BOX LUBE INSERTS - RETRO -TIM DALEY PG 3.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 8N STEERING BOX LUBE INSERTS - RETRO -TIM DALEY PG00.jpg
    8N STEERING BOX LUBE INSERTS - RETRO -TIM DALEY PG00.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 11
Just BTDT, your best advice is to find a donor tractor (50-52) with all you'll need at your local tractor boneyard. The dash itself has to be modified to let the left pitman arm clear, the pitman arms are not the same, nor are the drag links, but I've heard the links will work if you change sides with them, and do some adjusted. Don't know for sure about that, because I used later ones on mine. Later models do drive and handle a lot better, and it's well worth the effort to make the change.

Thanks Guys, I am parting out a late 50 and am saving parts to update my good running 49 so was wanting to know what to save. Thanks again Gene

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back