guido

Anybody has one of these. That is what I usually use for chopping wood.

I had this one for many years,

Guido.

Attachments

• IMG_20240406_092353638_HDR~3.jpg
    IMG_20240406_092353638_HDR~3.jpg
    993.2 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
I have personally never used one, But I saw them & wanted one when I was much younger. Dad said I didn’t need one.. That probably meant he didn’t want to spend the money. Then when I was old enough to buy my on my own, I was strong enough that I didn’t need one. Now I’m too old to want one.

I have personally never used one, But I saw them & wanted one when I was much younger. Dad said I didn’t need one.. That probably meant he didn’t want to spend the money. Then when I was old enough to buy my on my own, I was strong enough that I didn’t need one. Now I’m too old to want one.
That one was off the web.My son bought two.he has my original with a fatter handle..1975 was the year it came out.Bought mine a few years after that? Been too long.

Guido.

I must be dumb because I don't get it. What is all that crap on the blade and what does it do?

I bought mine used from a friend. It originally came with the wood handle like the one in your picture, but that had been replaced with the fiberglass upgrade handle. Less shock and unbreakable.

I bought mine used from a friend. It originally came with the wood handle like the one in your picture, but that had been replaced with the fiberglass upgrade handle. Less shock and unbreakable.
Mine is the original axe. $29.95. Yes, the newer ones have the fiberglass handle. PROBABLY a bit more pricy too!

Guido.

I must be dumb because I don't get it. What is all that crap on the blade and what does it do?
What all that stuff does is parts the wood as the axe does not go in the wood
One levr pushes the wood to the left, and the other pushes the wood to the right.
The now 2 pieces land a few feet to the side.

Probaly plenty of videos on you tube. I bought the axe before you tube and probably before the net as we know it now,

Guido.

Brother and I got one of these for our Dad back in 1977. We all used it. It was kinda' fun seeing the two halves jump to the sides...

When they work, you don't need it. The wood is straight grained and will split with a simple axe.
When they don't work, no splitting maul will work. The wood is too snarly and either needs to be split with wedges and a sledge, or a hydraulic splitter.

Growing up in the 50t's I had to help my dad cut fire wood for the farm house we lived in.
Red Elm was the hardest to split, Bech was probably the easiest.
We used a cross cut saw the first couple years, then gas powered chain saws came out, they sure saved a lot of time.

Guido.
20240409_133100.jpg
I made this one! 2 inch square mild steel with hardface on the wedge. It had a wooden handle, replaced with the 4130 Chrome Molly tube welded in. and a fiber handle. I get it back if I lend it. Sometimes before use, sometimes after a day, but it comes back. Jim

I made this one! 2 inch square mild steel with hardface on the wedge. It had a wooden handle, replaced with the 4130 Chrome Molly tube welded in. and a fiber handle. I get it back if I lend it. Sometimes before use, sometimes after a day, but it comes back. Jim
Looks has nothing to do with capacity. But I would think that at least the tip would be rust free 😉

Guido.

Looks has nothing to do with capacity. But I would think that at least the tip would be rust free 😉

Guido.
Great observation. I don't do wood harvest or purchase anymore. But neighbors do, and they used it until they decided to never by twisty ash for any reason. It is lonely and used as a sledge! Jim

Guido.

Great observation. I don't do wood harvest or purchase anymore. But neighbors do, and they used it until they decided to never by twisty ash for any reason. It is lonely and used as a sledge! Jim
Just for the record.The Sassafras I had here made the wood splitter grunt.

A side with a branch sure was twisted 🥨

Guido.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back