Chevy/GMC tailgate Random Drop

ErnieD

My GMC 2021 has dropped the tailgate twice, and there is a recall.... but my vin was not in the recall. I took the inside plastic tailgate cover off and inspected the switch. Pretty much like the keyfob of 20 years ago, gold grid which is activated with a carbon wafer. I cleaned it up, applied a dab of dielectric grease and reassembled.

Don't lose the rectangular spacer.

GM doesn't have a fix. We will see how my fix works.

News at 11.

My GMC 2021 has dropped the tailgate twice, and there is a recall.... but my vin was not in the recall. I took the inside plastic tailgate cover off and inspected the switch. Pretty much like the keyfob of 20 years ago, gold grid which is activated with a carbon wafer. I cleaned it up, applied a dab of dielectric grease and reassembled.

News at 11.
Waaay too much electronic bull dung on these new vehicles. I have never had a tailgate pop open on my 74, 78, 84, 01, or 02 Chev. How many of these new electronic laden wonders will still be going in 30 years?

Same question people were asking 30yrs ago about new vehicles. (y)
Always love the "they don't make 'em like they used to" comments. I for one am GLAD they don't make 'em like they used to.

Prior to the early 2000's a 10 year old vehicle around here was a rare gem, and you really had to WORK to keep a vehicle going that long. Constantly replacing exhaust systems, patching body panels, changing brake lines, fighting rusty fasteners... Now half the used cars on the lots are over 10 years old. I'd imagine in an environment where they don't use road salt these vehicles must last forever.

Always love the "they don't make 'em like they used to" comments. I for one am GLAD they don't make 'em like they used to.

Prior to the early 2000's a 10 year old vehicle around here was a rare gem, and you really had to WORK to keep a vehicle going that long. Constantly replacing exhaust systems, patching body panels, changing brake lines, fighting rusty fasteners... Now half the used cars on the lots are over 10 years old. I'd imagine in an environment where they don't use road salt these vehicles must last forever.
I still have the Chev K20 I bought new in 1978. Well over 300,000 miles. Replaced a defective cam at 50K miles. Motor untouched other than that. Faithful companion for 46 years. How many of the new electronic marvels will be left in 46 years?

Same with my 53 year old 4020. How many new fangled tractors will make it to their 53rd birthday??
Faulty electronics will send them to the boneyard in the sky.

in an environment where they don't use road salt these vehicles must last forever.

I bought this 2003 Avalanche back in Nov. 2023 has 166k on it, pretty much every option, two previous owners. Always in Florida. Original exhaust system, brakes, lines.
Since I grew up in SW Michigan salt belt for 40 years, I have had my fill of rust.

Some days I crawl under this Avalanche just to marvel at how rust free it is, lol.

Attachments

• underside 1.jpg
    underside 1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 27
  • underside 2.jpg
    underside 2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 30
  • underside 3.jpg
    underside 3.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Side view.jpg
    Side view.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 24
I bought this 2003 Avalanche back in Nov. 2023 has 166k on it, pretty much every option, two previous owners. Always in Florida. Original exhaust system, brakes, lines.
Since I grew up in SW Michigan salt belt for 40 years, I have had my fill of rust.

Some days I crawl under this Avalanche just to marvel at how rust free it is, lol.
Half of 1 side frame member disappeared on my 11 silverado. Do you know the difference between a chevrolet and a gmc? About $5000

Half of 1 side frame member disappeared on my 11 silverado. Do you know the difference between a chevrolet and a gmc? About $5000
In the late 70s we saw Chevy vans with GMC rear doors horn buttons from Chevy on GMC trucks. All kinds of mixed trim parts

News at 11.
My GMC has never had the tailgate fall down unless I take out the two hooks on chains dangling there to hold it up when out flat. 51 3/4 W 270ci ........no rust. Just never in salt. Getting it out of our county fair hog barn in 6 days. Jim

The older models (1999- 2009?) had an issue where the linkage could get siezed and it wouldn't release the locks. Guys would slam the hell out of the tailgate. A bit of lube on the linkage under the handle fixed 'em up. The newer Chevy trucks with the push button to release the tailgate is nothing but a problem, sooner or later. I hope the op can get it solved.

The older models (1999- 2009?) had an issue where the linkage could get siezed and it wouldn't release the locks. Guys would slam the hell out of the tailgate. A bit of lube on the linkage under the handle fixed 'em up. The newer Chevy trucks with the push button to release the tailgate is nothing but a problem, sooner or later. I hope the op can get it solved.
The disassembly, clean and lube with dielectric grease seems to have "done the trick". Had a fair bit of rain and no random triggers.

I still have the Chev K20 I bought new in 1978. Well over 300,000 miles. Replaced a defective cam at 50K miles. Motor untouched other than that. Faithful companion for 46 years. How many of the new electronic marvels will be left in 46 years?

Same with my 53 year old 4020. How many new fangled tractors will make it to their 53rd birthday??
Faulty electronics will send them to the boneyard in the sky.
Dad bought a new 4010 diesel in 1963. Traded a 70 D for it. My good Friend drove it and said Its really nice but won't last! My son still has it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back