Clarification on Similar Threads

cpratt

Administrator
Staff member
All over the site, when you look at posts and threads, you will see a section entitled "Similar Threads". This is a very valuable feature for on topic posting. It is confusing and irrelevant to people who are engaging in non-tractor discussions. Several people have been confused that the system is showing them "old posts". If so and you don't understand them, just realize it is the search function attempting to show you thread that seem to be related to what you are view. If you are not here talking about tractors, ignore Similar Threads, don't let it confuse you.

The powerful purpose of this Similar Threads window, only comes in if you are on-topic and allows people who are asking a tractor question to know if it's already been answered. It stops the same questions from being asked over and over, tying up peoples time finding a link to the answer and having to say "It was answered here (followed by a link)". Oftentimes, because of this, a visitor will not even have to ask their question.

But this is only useful for tractor related discussions. Ignore it otherwise so it doesn't distract you.

The fact that someone wonders into one of these threads and replies is not the end of the world. At least there are no longer two views basically fighting with each other to post the same replies! Sometimes it is fairly obvious a reply was made accidently without relization that the thread is older because their reply is sort of hanging off the end. I joined another forum about a year ago, since I did not know the members or the layout which is similar to what we have here now I wondered off into the "Similar Threads" a couple times. I posted a longer reply as I often do to explain my reply in detail. Later I would find I replied to an old topic and no one was there waiting in the wings to take my info, quite a frustration. However, later I found I was overlooking a subtle warning placed there, see photo. I was wondering if the same could be done here and possibly make it a little less subtle. I also like how that forum shows the members "Joined date" and post count. I suspect these are things you chose to turn off to clean up the forum look, is that correct?
Reply warning.JPG

We didn't turn Joined Date and post count off, this system has them appear when you hover over the username or avatar. That appears to be a different package, probably phpbb3 which is the grandson of what we used to use for Modern View or possibly one of the others.

As far as old posts, they are pertinent for on-topic but not for something like tales. I was going to see if I can turn off replies selective on just tales posts after a certain time so you just can't reply. If I can't we'll have to look at deleting once and awhile like we did with the old system.

On the on-topic, necro-threads were a massive problem in late 90s and early 2000s with people getting livid when they happened. That seems to have subsided in forums I use for software and people take it in stride since old questions resurface, need clarification, that sort of thing. Even more so with old tractors, nothing changes and the same questions, answers and further questions are all relevant. I originally locked everything that was older than Jan 1 2023 when I imported, but the testers and our team all felt they shouldn't be. I've come around to that because of how something antique really doesn't change nor do the problems people have with them. Reviving a thread means less duplication of effort when people have to give additional information on the same topic.

We have to stop replies (and Similar Threads in general) for the off-topic forum. There it will still anger people if they see it.

It's simply a matter of reading the date of the last post before jumping into the thread, pretty easy.

That said, an old thread can provide information on a particular topic that may not be forthcoming in a new thread so there is value to readers who have not previously seen the older thread.

I know I made a joke about zombie threads earlier but they do have value.

As was mentioned though, off topic threads revived really don't provide any value. Well, other than some entertainment maybe.

A revisit
In the "Similar Threads" title/banner perhaps more text could be added such as
"The threads below are from the past, constructive replies are welcome, chit chat replies are discouraged" or sum such.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back