Corn in truck got wet

OK, I made a mistake. I wanted to take some corn to the elevator, so I took the truck to the lot next to the shed, then my grain cart, hooked up the elevator and put maybe 250 bushels of corn into my grain truck.

Then I got stuck, I couldn't drive the loaded truck, the tires just spun, because we had 3 inches of rain last week. I thought I could drive on sod, but not with 28,000 pounds, I guess.

I put a tarp on it, but it blew off last night and we got .8 inches of rain.

So, my truck got .8 inches of rain on 250 bushels of corn.

Question for the brain trust: How bad is that?

I came home tonight and the corn seemed dry. I dug into it for a foot or 2 and it seemed dry. The sun did shine all day, and should tomorrow.

Is my corn ruined? Is the bottom ruined? Or should I take it to the elevator and sell it, as soon as it dries enough to drive it out? Is there .8 inches of water on the bottom of the bed? Any ideas?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5714.jpg
    IMG_5714.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5709.jpg
    IMG_5709.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 72
Yes the rain will be on the bottom of the load. I like to have the box hoisted up
About a foot so that rain will run off the tarp and not just sag it down in the middle with 10 gallons of water sitting in it. Either sell it as is with a moisture test or you need to unload it before it starts spoiling. Even hoisting the box up some now might help the water run out. Maybe unload it into something else and keep transferring it back and forth. It can’t sit in that box as it is. Ooh I know!, the moonshiners would be interested in it.

There is half the problem is the dummy tandem for being stuck . Now for the corn if you have a few days of sun with a couple of those screw in fans you could just let it set with them on and it would probably dry back out in a couple days. Even in a shed out of the weather would be good. Just pull it out with the tractor and a helper. the other obvious choices are to sell it like it is or play the shuffle game about every 3-4 days to dry it out over time. If they use a hand probe or just skim a sample off the top then sell it it will not show up much. IF they get a tailgate sample it will.

I'd see if the elevator has a grain probe to assess moisture at a certain depth on your load. Do they have an end user that uses a trailer load of corn in a day or two? I've had good luck with disclosing to the elevator an issue with a wagon load of grain such as being above accepted dry moisture. They have blended such a load into a rail car. Slow trickle release off of wagon and moisture being 15-15.5 max. I know some elevators don't want to hear about problems and the seller has to be extra careful. A Tox-o-wik dryer may be a solution if the kernels are not super saturated with water so they don't grind into meal. This time of year you could probably get by with just the fan.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back