Corn planting 1993

Picture of my late Dad (he would have been 60 at that time) planting corn in 1993. It was a late planting for corn and I think after Memorial Day.

This was a ~1978 Deere 7000 4RW planter and the tractor a 1969 IH 544.

As it turned out, this field was pretty much a disaster (as most were) that year as it was a late, wet and cold growing season and nothing grew. A lot of crop got plowed up unharvested in the end as there was nothing worth the effort. I have some video of this same field that fall in October with short wet ears with milk in them yet.

But, at the time of the photo, nobody would know what was coming.

Attachments

• Corn planting 1993.jpg
    Corn planting 1993.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 65
What part of ND? Seems to me we had a lot of snow that year and a very late spring. I was working at a tire shop in Bismarck at that time.

I custom farmed a quarter for a fella I know that year. You are correct, everything was late. There was a program to destroy a corn field if it wasn't going to make grain. He took that option and got so much an acre but you had to disk the crop down. Seemed sad to disk 6' tall corn under when there were a lot of years I would have given my eye teeth to have that crop for silage.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back