Correct silver paint?????

gmccool

I wanted to paint the rear rims on my 870. I looked at two places for silver paint & both only had aluminum. I didn't want it but I gave in & bought it. Painted a little bit but not happy. So I looked harder for some silver paint & found some. Painted a little but more & still not happy. It just looks like one brush stroke is silver & the next brush stroke is gray. I vaguely remember from painting rims years ago I used a paint called Flat Silver. Guys help me out here. What do I need? I want them to look right & if I need to go to a body supply house & get out the paint gun I don't mind. But what color do you guys use. Thanks Gerald

I just use spray cans,, aluminum is what I have been using , new they were pretty shiny I always felt
cnt
cvphoto2346.jpg

Its been several years but I think Argant silver was a GM color that effectively leaves the rims with a galvanized look. Which is how the older Case tractors came out. Mine looked good tilI had to change a tire and scuffed it up some. gobble

Tom Turkey turned me on to that particular argent silver several years ago and it was great! Im the handsome one in the first pic. Tom is in the second pic. Hee Hee CM
cvphoto2349.jpg

cvphoto2350.jpg

Yes Dan, taken in early 1971 at the loading docks in Racine. I do not remember sadly what he was there for, I know one time he spoke of the "T" plant opening/tour and a class of some kid in one,, I thought that was before this though,, any ideas what it could have been? My Dad did not go to any meetings he did not have to lol these were taken at the same time
cnt
cvphoto2353.jpg

cvphoto2354.jpg

I use CNH "Silver Argent" when painting tractors. It has silver metallic in it and gives the wheels a real nice look when sprayed on, not so good when brushed on. It costs 25 bucks / qt from CNH. When I painted my dual the other day I bought a qt. of Rustolium Aluminum paint for 10 bucks and brushed on 2 coats. It looked good.
Loren

cvphoto2406.jpg

OK Bro., I will have to call you tomorrow on the above pic. 1971 Black Knights loaded for delivery and a White 970 setting on the ground by them??????? Or is the color in the pic. not bringing out the Desert Sunset. I guess after looking closer the 970 must be a DS one. Decals wrong for a white one, along with air intake breather, muffler, and side fins being incorrect for a White one. Maybe I won't call you tomorrow. HeHe.
Loren

Aluminum paint doesn't brush very good. You have to brush it on as thin as you can and as fast as you can so the metal flake can come to the surface. Even spraying it you have to lay it on half dry. These wheels were painted with aluminum paint.
cvphoto2416.jpg

I use Rustoleum Aluminum on my VAC rims and it looks great. It's so forgiving that I don't even spray it any more, you can't tell it was brushed on. It does need to be stirred or mixed thoroughly.

Tom & Loren, good question, I wonder if it was the opening of the T plant, I know my Dad didn't go, least I don't think so, I was never to far behind him, but this is a interesting pictures Tom, look at the nose of the one Black Knight, is that a 30 series with a factory still waiting for a home? Loren, what do you think?

Then on the second picture, look at the Demonstrator sitting to the right of the "970" nose, it looks like the Demo is silver by the door, or is it a glitch.
Comments?

Dan, photos have lost some color over the years, the sliver is just the gold stripe on the cab, the DS cab you see is a load of 1470's Good Catch Dan thanks by the way howlong has it been since you seen a front weight bundle as in the lower part of this pic
cvphoto2552.jpg

Ok yes Tom, that makes sense on the stripe. Yes can you imagine seeing that load of "Traction Kings" going down the road! Maybe one of yours Tom!
Yes, that bundle, been a long time since I have seen those, looks like 70 series wrappers. Glad you posted Tom, fun for us old guys to pick things out were interested in from dealership days

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back