Crank Driven Hydraulic Pump Oil

Bill VA

I have a MF50 with a 100 loader and it has a hydraulic pump that is front mounted and driven off the crank on the engine. Manual says Type A fluid which I gather Dextron III is a replacement.

This loader would have been similar/same as a Davis loader which was used on other tractors (why I’m posting here).

Since the reservoir is separate from the tractors hydraulics, what are my options?

Are these front pumps more tolerant of other hydraulic oils? I have what amounts to Massey Permatran oil I’d like to use-up in this loader for an oil change. It is a 10-30W oil. I use this particular oil in my 1105 MF transmission. Any reason you can think of not to use it in the loader?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Bill

I have a MF50 with a 100 loader and it has a hydraulic pump that is front mounted and driven off the crank on the engine. Manual says Type A fluid which I gather Dextron III is a replacement.

This loader would have been similar/same as a Davis loader which was used on other tractors (why I’m posting here).

Since the reservoir is separate from the tractors hydraulics, what are my options?

Are these front pumps more tolerant of other hydraulic oils? I have what amounts to Massey Permatran oil I’d like to use-up in this loader for an oil change. It is a 10-30W oil. I use this particular oil in my 1105 MF transmission. Any reason you can think of not to use it in the loader?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Bill
Go ahead and use it, it will be fine.

Cold weather performance AKA below freezing may not be quite as good. I would use it.

Type A was recommended as a common low viscosity hydraulic oil at that point in time. Most of those old hydraulic systems are not that fussy about the oil they need, the viscosity being the most important matter. Too thick and they are slow or cavitate the pump when cold. Too thin and they are slow or have foaming issues when hot.

Both ATF and hydraulic transmission fluid have additives in them for the wet clutches and brakes found in more modern/complicated machinery.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back