Ford 3600 Hydraulic Cooler Lines

zombielinux

New User
I've got my '76 3600 that I'm trying to get to stop leaking everywhere.

Its got a 730 loader on the front with the crank mounted pump.

I've got a leaking oil cooler for the rear axle AND heavily damaged cooler lines.

I'd like to replace the cooler, but can't get to it without taking off the 730 loader (which requires a hoist I don't have, or second tractor that I also don't have).

My problem is I can't find what hydraulic connector the cooler lines are so I can make a bypass.

Do any of the hydraulic gurus know what the connectors are?

I've never seen or heard of a rear axle cooling unit for a 3600. I don't see one in the parts drawings either. Are you sure that it's not for the transmission? is the cooling core itself up by the radiator? If it's for the transmission, then it looks like they are flare fittings at the transmission end and hoses and hose clamps up at the cooling core end.

I've never seen or heard of a rear axle cooling unit for a 3600. I don't see one in the parts drawings either. Are you sure that it's not for the transmission? is the cooling core itself up by the radiator? If it's for the transmission, then it looks like they are flare fittings at the transmission end and hoses and hose clamps up at the cooling core end.
Its probably for the transmission. I've heard it called both (because it looks like its the same hydraulic reservoir in the service manual). The cooling core is up by the radiator. I know they're flare fittings, but I don't know what size exactly. They are (or were) hose clamps up at the front, but everything was beyond mangled.

I'm going to have to reproduce the lines entirely.

The transmission and rear axle are two separate sumps on that tractor.

The part numbers for those lines are D5NN7A030F and D5NN7A031G. They are no longer available new, but you might be able to find them at a salvage yard. Sorry, the parts site doesn't specify the size of the flare fittings.

The 3600s did have an oil cooler.
The lines connect to the flow control valve and are routed along the right side of the trans/engine to a little aluminum cooler in front of the radiator.
As you may remember, my 3600 was a school tractor - donated to a VoTech by Ford.
It did not have those lines and the connections at the flow control were plugged. I never added the lines or cooler and have been running it that way for 15? years with no ill effects.

Attachments

• 2024-01-24_08_05_57.jpg
    2024-01-24_08_05_57.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
The 3600s did have an oil cooler.
The lines connect to the flow control valve and are routed along the right side of the trans/engine to a little aluminum cooler in front of the radiator.
As you may remember, my 3600 was a school tractor - donated to a VoTech by Ford.
It did not have those lines and the connections at the flow control were plugged. I never added the lines or cooler and have been running it that way for 15? years with no ill effects.
Ultradog - If they did have an oil cooler for the 3 point hydraulics, the cooler and lines are nowhere to be found in the parts drawings. The drawing for the flow control valve just shows the same plugs as are on yours.

Ultradog - If they did have an oil cooler for the 3 point hydraulics, the cooler and lines are nowhere to be found in the parts drawings. The drawing for the flow control valve just shows the same plugs as are on yours.
Dunno Sean.
My pal Kenny had a 3600 and it had the lines.
They added another step when we split the tractor for a clutch.
On his, someone had removed the little cooler and just connected the lines together with a hose. He bought a small transmission cooler at Napa and installed that in front of the radiator where the original had been.
I think? all the X600s had the oil cooler but can not say for certain.

It appears a 3600 with the higher flow gear type hydraulic pump had oil coolers, but those that had the older style piston pump did not have coolers
My 5600 has lubrication lines going to the transmission but doesn’t have a oil cooler, my 6600 does have a cooler

Dunno Sean.
On his, someone had removed the little cooler and just connected the lines together with a hose. He bought a small transmission cooler at Napa and installed that in front of the radiator where the original had been.
According to the parts drawings, the 5600 and larger models in the x600/x700 series had a cooler for the 3 point hydraulics, but the 2600/3600/4600 did not.

Bern, that is the transmission cooler and lines that I mentioned in an earlier post. Ultradog was saying that the 3 point hydraulic system had its own cooler and lines. That was what I was saying is not in the parts drawings if they did exist.

I can only guess that since the 5600 and larger models oil coolers for the rear axle and transmission were listed in the transmission section that they listed the 3600’s hydraulic cooler in that same section

According to the parts drawings, the 5600 and larger models in the x600/x700 series had a cooler for the 3 point hydraulics, but the 2600/3600/4600 did not.
I won't insist on being right but can say this much.
The 3600 I put the clutch in was not Ken's but one of my own. This is one I bought that had burned and I fixed it up and sold it. You can see the lines for the oil cooler.
Ken's had the oil cooler too.
And my own has the ports on the flow control for the cooler.
The oil cooler is for the onboard hydraulics not the transmission.
The only Fords with a tranny cooler that I know of were the 1965+ SOS models though I do not know about the big 8/9000s and TW models.
PS,
I like the search function on the new forum software. I typed in 'burned 3600' and found this photo in an old post.

Attachments

• cvphoto134583.jpg
    cvphoto134583.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 17
Dunno Sean.
Now I'm gping to have to double check... but I don't think my 4600 has an oil cooler. My 7000 and 7600 both do, but they are common reservoir/Dual Power models.

I can only guess that since the 5600 and larger models oil coolers for the rear axle and transmission were listed in the transmission section that they listed the 3600’s hydraulic cooler in that same section
The 3600 did not have a single common sump and the title of the drawing specifically says transmission oil cooling system.

-600 Parts book section 7 - transmission
Pages 7-50 thru 7-53B list oil cooler and components for 2600-7700 models
Even though it list 2600/3600 components as transmission cooler they are actually for the hydraulics
Pages 7-14-15 list the actual cooler lines for the torque converter models
Although the book list the 4600 model in the transmission cooler section there are no parts in those listings for a 4600

I've got my '76 3600 that I'm trying to get to stop leaking everywhere.

Its got a 730 loader on the front with the crank mounted pump.

I've got a leaking oil cooler for the rear axle AND heavily damaged cooler lines.

I'd like to replace the cooler, but can't get to it without taking off the 730 loader (which requires a hoist I don't have, or second tractor that I also don't have).

My problem is I can't find what hydraulic connector the cooler lines are so I can make a bypass.

Do any of the hydraulic gurus know what the connectors are?
@zombielinux
Now look at what you did!
You're a new user and you got all the old timers here arguing about your tractor.
Sheesh.
Just kidding.
This is the best forum on the entire english speaking internet for that era of Fords and individually we still don't know it all. Collectively we can usually get things figured out though.
Welcome to the forum.

The 3600 did not have a single common sump and the title of the drawing specifically says transmission oil cooling system.

Yes I agree the 3600 did not have common sump, and the listing does state transmission cooler, but the lines run from the flow control up to the cooler and back to the flow control, thus never entering the transmission like on the 4 cylinder models with common sump

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back