Cutout relay sparks, regulator option

The cutout relay on my 57 Case sparks when it s connected to it s wire from the 12V wire coming from the battery, and ignition switch. Does that mean it s toast? I know it s grounding because when it is disconnected all the other connections on that circuit stop sparking. The circuit originates at the battery terminal on the starter, and that end was sparking too, until I disconnected the cutout relay on the generator.
Also, what are the pros and cons of cutout relays compared to regulators? There s a note in the Brillman catalog that says "due to the modern design, voltage regulators can t be used to charge low or dead batteries. Doing so will destroy the voltage regulator and void the warranty". This tractor came from the factory with a regulator. Thanks for any advice or info

This post was edited by OldCaseNewman on 08/03/2022 at 02:02 pm.

A cutout relay (goes between Battery and Gen/Arm post on Generator) is supposed to be OPEN when tractor is
just sitting there not running (otherwise battery will run down fast) but CLOSE after running and genny
starts producing power. If its sticks closed (can happen) and fails to open when tractor is shut off the
battery will go down and if the belt were removed the genny could spin and there would be a spark if the
battery wire was connected...

A Voltage Regulator does a better job of charging and regulation as opposed to a manual Low High charge
controller, but either can still work to charge the battery.

John T

(reply to post at 17:12:35 08/03/22)
Thanks. It s just sparking when I make a connection. When I touch terminal to stud. Not sure what you mean about it sparking when it can spin with the belt off. Btw the generator works fine on the bench. I think if the relay is sparking its grounding so it s bad so I ll just replace it. They re only $20

Hi Newman, you state:

It s just sparking when I make a connection. Thats what I would expect if the cutout relay (between BAT
and GEN/ARM terminals) was stuck closed as happens

Not sure what you mean about it sparking when it can spin with the belt off.. What I mean is iffffffff
the cutout relay is stuck closed and ifffffffffff the belt were off, when battery voltage is applied to
BAT on the cutout relay a good genny if all else is okay WILL SPIN LIKE THE DC MOTOR IT ACTUALY IS

Youre on top of this

John T

Thanks, took me a while to figure out how to reply on this phone format. That s a great idea to test it with the belt off. It spins great, I put new bearings in it. One reason I questioned whether or not it was normal to see the spark is the starter solenoid sparks when I touch the battery wire to the Ignition( battery) terminal. I guess that s normal on account of that terminal being one end of the magnetizing coil inside the solenoid, maybe. Anyway, I ll get the new cutout relay from Brillman

OldCaseNewman ,Does it have a 12 volt generator or a 6 volt generator.
If is a 12 volt generator I believe it should a voltage regulator and not a cut out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back