David Brown hydraulic screen/filter swap

Hello, I have a 1965-1968 DB 990a it has a hydraulic/transmission metal screen filter in the transmission pan under the tractor. I've been going through the hydraulic system and was wondering if anyone here has swapped the filter screen for the paper element type. I figure I would need a new pan, as the one there is much shallower than others I see online.

Farmstead - I too have 1966 880. I found the David Brown UK Club is great for info. They "had" the conversion parts, filter and "used" deeper pan, but you still need the newer metal screen gauze to cover the paper filter bottom hole. I am still looking for that screen. The 1966 was fitted with the older parts from the red David Brown. I found a Youtuber restore his DavidBrown, but he did not switch out the mesh gauze as it was out of his budget. He did replace the filter on top of the rear axle. This is my next project. Let me know what you find. ~KazooToo

Case must have made a recent run of the filter bypass screen and valve assemblies. The were NLA for a long time, but available a year or so ago. $150ish IIRC.

Certainly could be a high volume item. More than half the time when I drop a filter out the screen needs a repair.

I know this subject has been discussed multiple times in the past, and I thought there was a recent post on this forum, but of course I cannot find it now. I think some of the relevant postings were lost when the dbtc discussion forum website got hacked. I did not have time to perform an exhaustive search of the archives. Here are a couple of references to the subject:

Disclaimer: my implematic 990 still has the wire mesh suction screen. I have never converted one to a paper element.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back