Digging trench with tractor?

I am needing to dig a trench to run electric to my garage, running it through pvc conduit so I’ll bury it around 20 inches deep. What would be the best way to do this with a tractor? Subsoiler, ripper? Any ideas?

I am needing to dig a trench to run electric to my garage, running it through pvc conduit so I’ll bury it around 20 inches deep. What would be the best way to do this with a tractor? Subsoiler, ripper? Any ideas?
What type of ground? Rocks? How far? Rental of a small trencher might be an option.

If your dead set on burrying in conduit this wont help you much but i have seen peopel modify a ripper to lay direct bury cable in one pass.
Nate
Weld a nut to the back of a ripper or subsoiler shank, tie on the electric cable and pull it

If your using a small tractor rip the ground once or twice before you pull the cable

Run over with a tire to close the trench

Half of it is soft yard and half the gravel driveway which is packed, about 50ft
For the gravel driveway, pick axe, shovel and with the tractor using rippers.
I had to run PCV and wire under the driveway for electrical fencing. The trucks are too tall to place it overhead.
24-inches down, even though our code says 18-inches minimum.
DSCF7955md.jpg

For the dirt, I just used the rototiller and went deep on the first pass. Then perpendicular using the tractor straight blade pulling the dirt out. The second pass got it deep enough with the rototiller.

I dig many trenches for water and electric lines using my little helper, a terramite.
My soil has no rocks. My electric lines and water lines are 3 feet plus deep.
In 1985 Duke installed under ground power to my house. NO CONDUIT. NO PROBLEMS.
20170715_102925.jpg
5417.jpeg

It was over 150 ft to run power to my pole barn.
Have fun running wires in conduit.
Wire and conduit aren't cheap.
It is your money.

When I did 120' to my barn, I rented a trencher and went 2' deep through a yard a concrete truck with 10 yds. on wouldn't leave ruts. Only took an hour and very minimal mess. Or you could get one of these (I got this long after the electric was run). Either way you won't regret it.
20220719_155544_HDR.jpg

Are you putting small individual wires in conduit?
They make the black polyethylene irrigation coiled tubing in 2" ips that is cheaper then pvc pipe/ conduit.

Please use proper grey PVC electrical conduit or direct burial wire if you have to go cheap. Bury as deep as you can, certainly 18" minimum, and install the red warning tape in the trench about 6" deep. I own a backhoe but for any trenching longer than 50' or so I will rent a trencher as it will make a narrower trench and leave better tailings for backfill.

No use UF rated cable Much much easier

You can put conduit on the ends where they come out of the ground for protection

Don’t need conduit
If you are going to take the time to put in electric, do it right!! You have not said anyting about what yuoor loads are. How many amps do you anticipate needing, That it the first step you need to complete. Then determine the size conductors you need for the distance you have to run.

After you decide that, then we can talk about how to get they into the ground. It is a bad idea to go to all of this trouble putting in then not have enough service.

Don't NEED conduit, but you WANT conduit!!!! determine your sevice needs FIRST, then figure wires size, then conduit size and dont skimp. if yuo are close to the limit, go UP a size.

Yu wil NEVER regret doing it right the first time

Ran power to my mobile home using direct burial cable. You are supposed to lay it in a squiggle or "s" shape in the bottom of the trench. Put mine around 2 feet deep almost 28 years ago and have had no issues but I rarely drive over it. If you have a lot of heavy traffic going over it conduit might be needed. Like has been said vertical conduit coming out at the ends for protection above ground.

Have you looked into renting or hiring a vibratory plow (Ditch Witch) to bury your electric cables? Much faster and far less disruptive than digging a trench. If you are also running communications cables to the garage they may need some separation from high voltage power cables.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back