Dowsing Rods

John, if Maxwell's equations can't explain dowsing, should we just chalk it up to witchcraft? I'm asking you as both an engineer and a theologian.
Thanks for asking Mark it’s a good question and if I had the answer I would be glad to help you but the science of how it works for some like so many gents here have said but not others is above my pay grade.

Wow Maxwells equation we’re hard for me grrr you can choose to call it witchcraft if you like and while I’m an engineer farmer and attorney sure NOT any theologian I can’t know or prove how dowsing works for me and many many here but ONLY know it works for me.
I bet there are a gazillion other things Maxwells equations can’t prove yet are still true and a person can call such occurrences whatever they like but dowsing worked for me and it looks like most here and I know I’m right regarding my experience snd take others here at their word even if Maxwell can’t explain it or other things

Best wishes take care God bless you and yours. The old farmer who taught me is long gone and can’t explain it try google but for anything found there one can find just the opposite, I was taught yearssss before google or algore invented the internet lol
Fun thread for sure and good to hear different gents experiences.. Again only fresh thin just cut green limbs worked for me I never tried rods you have to ask others about that

Last edited:
When I worked at a building supply store, a driller came in and was talling to one of the other employes on the desk about the witcher that worked with him. He said that he himself never had the gift. My co-worker asked, 'Can he wear a watch?', and the driller said, 'No, unless it' s digital'. My co-workwr said the person who witched his well had the same problem. Apparently conventional quartz crystal watches run erattically when worn by people with the 'gift'. I've never heard anyone else mention that.

My brother who works in geophysics also told me that, while never effectively proven in scientific conditions, every ancient civilization, even those isolated from each other, had developed similar methods of witching/divining.
Same with my dear old departed mother. Back in her later years none of the quartz type elec watches would work in her arm either !!! Don’t ask me how to explain it I just wanted to insure you it happened for at least one other person
John T

Same with my dear old departed mother. Back in her later years none of the quartz type elec watches would work in her arm either !!! Don’t ask me how to explain it I just wanted to insure you it happened for at least one other person
John T
I used a small thin green Y shaped tree limb it worked perfect to locate all my buried water lines EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!! I was taught how by an older gentleman and of course this sort of thing, regardless of the material or items used, does NOT work for everybody, to each their own abilities of course, it did work great for me is all I can say, I'm sure others have different experiences or ability or the lack thereof........

Of course people can google the answer how it works or how it don’t work lol one can find something on the net on BOTH sides of any issue. I’m just speaking of personal experience longggg before google or the net was ever invented by Algore lol

John T
Same here. I stopped wearing watched for the same. reason, always running slow?

Guido.

Mornin friend. Actually I never tried any old dead dried up limbs. The old gentleman who taught me insisted they be fresh green having something to do with internal moisture and being alive up until I cut them etc etc. I hold the fork loose and straight out and exactly when I crossed a buried water line or other times ??? It pointed and pulled down hard and big time.

I’m glad to see how dowsing works for so many of us farmers and ranchers maybe not so much for city slickers. Just because we can’t know or explain the science and reasons does not mean we’re all a bunch of liars no way I would accuse anyone here of lying about how dowsing works for them even if it don’t work for most others.

Again one could find about anything in the internet that proves or disproves anything take your pick. I can’t know or speak for others experienced or statements but don’t call them liars and can know for sure using fresh green y tree limbs allows me to find water or water lines.

Take care Guido nice chatting with you

John T
Again one could find about anything in the internet that proves or disproves anything take your pick. I can’t know or speak for others experienced or statements but don’t call them liars and can know for sure using fresh green y tree limbs allows me to find water or water lines.
Who called somebody a liar, John? You're the only one who used that word.

I merely stated that dowsers have never successfully demonstrated their purported abilities under controlled conditions, even though at one time a million dollars was up for grabs. Which is a fact. You can be mistaken without being a liar.

PS FWIW One more thing I forgot above. When the old (long deceased) gentleman who was able to and taught me to successfully witch/dowse?? for water using a fresh cut green fork shaped tree limb, IF I RECALL ??? HE PREFFEERD A CERTAIN TREE SPECIES WHICH WAS WILLOW I THINK......Isnt that a tree you often find near ditches streams and wet areas ????????

Oh well, I cant explain why/how it works so well for myself and so many above, be it with a tree limb or metal rods or whatever ONLY THAT IT WORKS

Yall have a great week now best wishes and God Bless and protect the USA

John T

Being in the utility construction business for over 40 years, I can tell you Dowsing Rods KIND OF WORK. Yes they can find all kinds of things but no one knows what is found. It could be power, fiber optics, water, sewer, just buried junk, etc. They are very unpredictable and not reliable in a professional situation. Over the years we have had certain utility companies use dowsing rods to locate their lines. Almost every time they were mis-located. Recently, we called in multiple locations to screw in several hundred guy wire anchors. The water utility was the only utility on that job to use dowsing rods to locate their lines. Water was the only utility that our anchor crew hit and was the only utility we hit multiple times because their locates were so far off.

Who called somebody a liar, John? You're the only one who used that word.

I merely stated that dowsers have never successfully demonstrated their purported abilities under controlled conditions, even though at one time a million dollars was up for grabs. Which is a fact. You can be mistaken without being a liar.
So just what are controlled conditions?

Being in the utility construction business for over 40 years, I can tell you Dowsing Rods KIND OF WORK. Yes they can find all kinds of things but no one knows what is found. It could be power, fiber optics, water, sewer, just buried junk, etc. They are very unpredictable and not reliable in a professional situation. Over the years we have had certain utility companies use dowsing rods to locate their lines. Almost every time they were mis-located. Recently, we called in multiple locations to screw in several hundred guy wire anchors. The water utility was the only utility on that job to use dowsing rods to locate their lines. Water was the only utility that our anchor crew hit and was the only utility we hit multiple times because their locates were so far off.
Mornin Tony, thanks for posting that information and your 40 years experience......... What a fun thread

Of course, I can ONLY speak for myself and MY experience, NO ONE ELSES.. Have to ask them (I wasn't there) I for one take them at their word, there's a fine bunch of honest gentlemen here...

FWIW The ONLY thing I successfully reliably found was buried WATER LINES......Using ONLY fresh cut green tree limbs, NO rods, NO wires as some others successfully reported... I never tried for, searched or got any indication or make any claim whatsoever regarding power, fiber optics, sewer, buried junk or anything else, never tried ????????

Its still fun to read others experiences and don't recall people reporting finding power, fiber optics, sewer or other stuff. If so maybe they can report THEIR experiences, I look forward to hearing ESPECIALLY IF ANYONE CAN WITCH GOLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice chatting with you Tony and hearing your experience.

John T

Last edited:
I use a pair of steel wires bent in L shape. Used them a couple days ago to find underground a copper L.P. gas line.

Dusty

I use a pair of steel wires bent in L shape. Used them a couple days ago to find underground a copper L.P. gas line.

Dusty
Sounds great I hadn’t heard that one. Good to hear of others who have the gift. Looks like some have it while others just don’t, maybe they were wicked lol

John T

When I worked at a building supply store, a driller came in and was talling to one of the other employes on the desk about the witcher that worked with him. He said that he himself never had the gift. My co-worker asked, 'Can he wear a watch?', and the driller said, 'No, unless it' s digital'. My co-workwr said the person who witched his well had the same problem. Apparently conventional quartz crystal watches run erattically when worn by people with the 'gift'. I've never heard anyone else mention that.

My brother who works in geophysics also told me that, while never effectively proven in scientific conditions, every ancient civilization, even those isolated from each other, had developed similar methods of witching/divining.
I was also told it was because I wore a watch on my right hand but was left handed. Something about auto winding watch and winding backward....James

Sounds great I hadn’t heard that one. Good to hear of others who have the gift. Looks like some have it while others just don’t, maybe they were wicked lol

John T
I put a 20 ounce magnet on the garage floor, and went over it with my copper rods, no movement at all.

Guido

Around here in mid Mn. there are no clues as to where there is or is not underground water, but the dowsers can find it. A deceased friend of mine used just one bent wire. It would show him wich way the water was flowing underground. He followed a vein through some strange woods & found a flowing spring in land he had never been on before.

Around here in mid Mn. there are no clues as to where there is or is not underground water, but the dowsers can find it. A deceased friend of mine used just one bent wire. It would show him wich way the water was flowing underground. He followed a vein through some strange woods & found a flowing spring in land he had never been on before.
Wow just one bent wire while most use two. Goes to show what works for different people while nothing works for many people. Thanks for another fun story of successful dowsers. Next thing there may be a dowsers union ??? Will us tree limb users unite with wire users lol

Take care Teddy best wishes

John T

Does anyone here use them? I made a set out of copper, I don't know what size, BUT they work.! They cross at the same spot. One step back, and they straighten right out! I could be useful to some one who is looking for water? 😜

Guido.
I cut rods out of coat hangers it worked on my property. I have tried it one time on my uncles property he said he forgot where he installed the water line to his house. I located his line but we did not dig it up to check if I was right. I have a stopped up grey water line I know about where its at I found it yesterday. A friend came up and said he could could locate it with wire, he was convincing he could do it. He kept asking if I had some utility marker flags to use, that's what he used to douse with. I did but did not have time to round them up.

Wow just one bent wire while most use two. Goes to show what works for different people while nothing works for many people. Thanks for another fun story of successful dowsers. Next thing there may be a dowsers union ??? Will us tree limb users unite with wire users lol

Take care Teddy best wishes

John T
john, i use dousing rods to locate old field tiles and underground water lines. welding rods or coat hangars bent in a 90. suspect somehow it picks up a magnetic field variation from disturbed earth. i will have to get a compass and see if it reads something.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back