Dowsing Rods

john, i use dousing rods to locate old field tiles and underground water lines. welding rods or coat hangars bent in a 90. suspect somehow it picks up a magnetic field variation from disturbed earth. i will have to get a compass and see if it reads something.
Looks like I’m in the minority here as I successfully use a fresh cut green tree limb while most of you gents use wire. Different strokes for different folks but whatever works can’t argue against that even if we can’t explain how or why

John T

I usually have a pair in the truck made of welding rods bent at 90 degrees. Works to find water, phone, and electrical lines.
I have done this too to locate underground utilities while installing new lines for waste water plants. Was always effective normally within 1 to two feet of actual location, wouldn't believe it if I hadn't dug up the lines after locating them. This past fall learned something even more strange once the line is located raise one of you feet a foot and repeat counting the stomps once your stomps reach the depth one wire will swing out indicating depth. I have tried this on storm sewers, where you can see the depth in a manhole at the plant I work at and it seams plausible and within reason. No clue why in works but results seam reasonable.

I put a 20 ounce magnet on the garage floor, and went over it with my copper rods, no movement at all.

Guido
I've done the same experiment with the classic bent wires with the same result. Walk over a strong magnet, nothing. Walk over a buried tile line, wires immediately cross.

All I can figure is if the phenomenon is magnetic it has to do with magnetics on a "macro" scale. As in, the magnetic field of the earth as a whole.

I lost count of the number of times Dad would prove the backhoe operator wrong. The backhoe operator would insist the tile was in one place because of the color of the grass or the way the dirt laid, while Dad's bent wires said it was 10' away. More often than not, Dad would be right.

For those that say Dad had an advantage because he knew where the line was. Maybe he did vaguely but he wouldn't know the EXACT location of 10's of thousands of feet of tile line located over 100+ acres. The wires would usually put you right on top of the line.

How would a guy manipulate the wires? Especially when they're in the hands of a "non-believer" and it works for them. Maybe someone who has years of sleight-of-hand practice could manipulate the wires but I never saw my Dad make a quarter disappear behind anyone's ear, and I sure can't do any magic tricks. The wires cross when I use them too.

Mornin Tony, thanks for posting that information and your 40 years experience......... What a fun thread

Of course, I can ONLY speak for myself and MY experience, NO ONE ELSES.. Have to ask them (I wasn't there) I for one take them at their word, there's a fine bunch of honest gentlemen here...

FWIW The ONLY thing I successfully reliably found was buried WATER LINES......Using ONLY fresh cut green tree limbs, NO rods, NO wires as some others successfully reported... I never tried for, searched or got any indication or make any claim whatsoever regarding power, fiber optics, sewer, buried junk or anything else, never tried ????????

Its still fun to read others experiences and don't recall people reporting finding power, fiber optics, sewer or other stuff. If so maybe they can report THEIR experiences, I look forward to hearing ESPECIALLY IF ANYONE CAN WITCH GOLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice chatting with you Tony and hearing your experience.

John T
I have found water lines,sewer lines, high pressure gas lines,electric cables and fiber optics. However my ability to find them has always been limited to 10 feet below surface because that's as deep as my hoe can dig. 😬

I cut rods out of coat hangers it worked on my property. I have tried it one time on my uncles property he said he forgot where he installed the water line to his house. I located his line but we did not dig it up to check if I was right. I have a stopped up grey water line I know about where its at I found it yesterday. A friend came up and said he could could locate it with wire, he was convincing he could do it. He kept asking if I had some utility marker flags to use, that's what he used to douse with. I did but did not have time to round them up.
Mornin Hobo, like all the others here for whom dowsing indeed works (I for one believe them and take them for their word) even though we can’t explain it, while our friend barnyard and others have offered possible explanations, I’m still in the minority who use a green tree limb versus most other fine gents who use wires. Regardless many of us know, have experienced, it works for us at least and have no idea why it doesn’t work for others ??? Body chemistry, magnetic fields, whatever lol it may be hard even for scientists and engineers to explain why/how it doesn’t work for most so we dowsers may just have a gift from our
creator which I’m willing to accept and thank the good Lord

I don’t need any proof or scientific explanation how it works found on google or the internet or some article by someone who wasn’t there who doesn’t even know me. I like many here know for a fact it works for us even if not others. They may not have the gift lol I can’t explain why it works for me but not them ???

Best wishes and God bless all here and the USA dowsers and non dowsers alike lol.

Fun non political non controversial thread, good to hear all the experiences and mostly positive dowsing results from y’all

John T

Last edited:
I've done the same experiment with the classic bent wires with the same result. Walk over a strong magnet, nothing. Walk over a buried tile line, wires immediately cross.

All I can figure is if the phenomenon is magnetic it has to do with magnetics on a "macro" scale. As in, the magnetic field of the earth as a whole.

I lost count of the number of times Dad would prove the backhoe operator wrong. The backhoe operator would insist the tile was in one place because of the color of the grass or the way the dirt laid, while Dad's bent wires said it was 10' away. More often than not, Dad would be right.

For those that say Dad had an advantage because he knew where the line was. Maybe he did vaguely but he wouldn't know the EXACT location of 10's of thousands of feet of tile line located over 100+ acres. The wires would usually put you right on top of the line.

How would a guy manipulate the wires? Especially when they're in the hands of a "non-believer" and it works for them. Maybe someone who has years of sleight-of-hand practice could manipulate the wires but I never saw my Dad make a quarter disappear behind anyone's ear, and I sure can't do any magic tricks. The wires cross when I use them too.
I put copper tubing on my wires so my hands dont touch the wires so people couldnt accuse me of manipulating the wires. It even works better that way. I believe in the wires as my brother had me search his acreage for things he knew was buried. I found all of them with accuracy. I was told they work by earth disturbances. If the earth was dug to bury a line. then the wires will find it. I know where everything is buried like my water line to my house. But the wires will also find the same spot.

Proof of sorts ; if you accept my word .
A photograph of the 9 ft hole I dug to get to the sewer line . I marked the point where the dowsing rods gave the strongest indication and used a hand auger as a pilot . You can just make out the outline of the cutter head in the bottom rhs of the pipe . It was that accurate .

Attachments

• 20210422_125607_resized.jpg
    20210422_125607_resized.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 29
Proof of sorts ; if you accept my word .
A photograph of the 9 ft hole I dug to get to the sewer line . I marked the point where the dowsing rods gave the strongest indication and used a hand auger as a pilot . You can just make out the outline of the cutter head in the bottom rhs of the pipe . It was that accurate .
Great job Charles, not to worry, no pics or proof required by me I ACCEPT YOUR WORD Wow how accurate !!!!!

Nice chatting with you, thanks for your post.

John T

Last edited:
Secret is how you hold the "rods" so they are level, but can freely turn.... This takes practice and you will finally learn how to hold it correctly. I can NOT find new empty pvc pipe, but can find it as soon as it has water in it. When we moved out to the farm, there were many pipe runs and no plans. And dowsing has worked well.

I've recently found an underground soft-copper, 3/8 IN O.D. LP Gas line.
I now have a question about that line. It comes from a 500 gallon tank about 500 feet away, no regulator until it gets to the house, where it runs a water heater and a 7500 BTU furnace.
I want to add a 8800 watt propane generator to it. Is that 3/8 o.d. copper line big enough to handle the furnace, water heater, and the generator? The generator will be before the house. There is a regulator right where it goes into the house, the generator does not need a regulator added.
Thanks,
Dusty

Mornin Hobo, like all the others here for whom dowsing indeed works (I for one believe them and take them for their word) even though we can’t explain it, while our friend barnyard and others have offered possible explanations, I’m still in the minority who use a green tree limb versus most other fine gents who use wires. Regardless many of us know, have experienced, it works for us at least and have no idea why it doesn’t work for others ??? Body chemistry, magnetic fields, whatever lol it may be hard even for scientists and engineers to explain why/how it doesn’t work for most so we dowsers may just have a gift from our
creator which I’m willing to accept and thank the good Lord

I don’t need any proof or scientific explanation how it works found on google or the internet or some article by someone who wasn’t there who doesn’t even know me. I like many here know for a fact it works for us even if not others. They may not have the gift lol I can’t explain why it works for me but not them ???

Best wishes and God bless all here and the USA dowsers and non dowsers alike lol.

Fun non political non controversial thread, good to hear all the experiences and mostly positive dowsing results from y’all

John T
It works for me too. I can locate to within a foot. The Wife cannot do it....Can't explain it...

Slightly OT!!!! I can get yeast to rise when making bread, my SO cannot, even doing the exact same steps. Dowsing rods seem to be the same; some get results, others don't.

This reminds me I have to find my water lines to the barns; the high-dollar locater with all his tools couldn't. Previous owner of property owner doesn't know, either. Have to make a pair of rods and try my luck (skill?). zuhnc

Dowsing rods seem to be the same; some get results, others don't.

X2 and for whatever reason ???????????? NO IDEA Its seems many of the farmers ranchers and old tractor lovers here are successful dowsers ?????????? Go figure Must be one fine bunch here yayyyyyyyyyyy

John T

Heavy steel wire bent into L shape have always worked for me. Just for fun I think I will insulate the handle parts and see if they still work.

Dusty

Heavy steel wire bent into L shape have always worked for me. Just for fun I think I will insulate the handle parts and see if they still work.

Dusty
I just came in from taping the handles with electrical tape, on my steel wire pair and they still work.

I've recently found an underground soft-copper, 3/8 IN O.D. LP Gas line.
I now have a question about that line. It comes from a 500 gallon tank about 500 feet away, no regulator until it gets to the house, where it runs a water heater and a 7500 BTU furnace.
I want to add a 8800 watt propane generator to it. Is that 3/8 o.d. copper line big enough to handle the furnace, water heater, and the generator? The generator will be before the house. There is a regulator right where it goes into the house, the generator does not need a regulator added.
Thanks,
Dusty
If that line was open with the gas on, how big would the flame be if you lit it????????????????????????????????

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back