Dump rake in IH catalog

Charlie M

I came across a 1963 IH product catalog on u-tube tonight and it listed a steel wheeled dump rake. The video was a bit on the poor side for quality so I couldn't read the print for the rake. I would have thought dump rakes would have been long gone for along time prior to 1963.

Some hung on the the old stuff well past shelf life, i.e. horse drawn stuff.

I think the only application of a tractor dump rake would have been stacking operations that used sweeps and hay stackers and not balers.

You would think so. However, the last model, the Number 2 Tractor Rake, was built from 1960 through 1967. I never understood why anyone would use a dump rake any time after the side-delivery rake was invented. However, they were cheap. You could buy the widest (14 feet) for about half the price of a 3-bar side-delivery rake.

Edit to add: My dad did some custom baling. He refused jobs that were raked with a dump rake.

Up until about 1990, we ran a dump rake over all of our hayfields after we baled. We could pick up about another 10% of “ scatterings”.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back