Electric motors

Russ from MN

I posted this recently on another thread, asking a question, and no one replied. Anyone ever done this?

I remember troubleshooting a water pump once that wouldn't start, I hooked the 2 wires going to the capacitor together, and it started, but not very well. So, I bought a new capacitor, and all was well. Is this an approved way to troubleshoot a failed capacitor?

I posted this recently on another thread, asking a question, and no one replied. Anyone ever done this?

I remember troubleshooting a water pump once that wouldn't start, I hooked the 2 wires going to the capacitor together, and it started, but not very well. So, I bought a new capacitor, and all was well. Is this an approved way to troubleshoot a failed capacitor?
Not really a Normal way. But if the load was removed it would work. AC capacitors are notorious for failing, so testing it (after making sure it is discharged) with a ohm meter works Watch some video. Jim

I've replaced some of those big HVAC can capacitors and usually the cans bulge out when they blow. Easy to spot. Of course any A/C unit blowing capacitors needs to have the compressor motor wires checked with a clamp on meter for amperage draw. As the motor bearings start to wear out they tighten up and pull more amps to start and run which then makes the capacitors hotter till they blow. As long as the condenser coil isn't leaking freon or the compressor motor freezes up, you can keep squeezing another year or two or more out of those units by replacing the capacitors when they blow and cleaning the coils once or twice a year. With any AC motor, check the amp draw and compare it to the name plate and you get an idea what kind of shape the motor is in. At some point you may need to go to a higher rated capacitor to give it some more start juice or run juice. Keep the bearings oiled and clean. Furnace blower motors were notorious for the bearings getting gunked up with dust and lint to the point the oil fill hole on them would plug up so they wouldn't get oil. Not much of a problem with sealed bearings and regular changing of filters but an amp draw check will let you know if the sealed bearings are starting to go. Of course something with the windings or gunk around the stators and rotors can make it draw more amps and blowing out the motor guts with air may help a little.

Hey there Russ, your question: Is this an approved way to troubleshoot a failed capacitor? So here's my answer to your good question:

I'd say thats ONE way lol

I first look at the cap for signs of bulging, swelling, melting, damage or leakage...

Next, I check all the wiring for signs of burns or loose/broken connections (see that often)...

If one has an actual true capacitor tester that would be my next test.

Sooooooooo,,, thats my answer and how I would approach the problem, see other answers, how others do it, what they might add to this.. Its always fun to read other answers as being an electrical question you may get tons of lay as well as professional answers !!!!!!!!!!!! There's more that could be said but I pretty much for now at least just answer your question.......

PS I typically replaced with the same rated capacitor perhaps somewhat higher but never less

John T Long retired from the Century Electric Motor Company grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:

Russ
No need to try your method.
I have buckets full of used capacitors.
Substitution is the best method.
Plus I also have a meter to measure capacitors.

I had an auger motor with a failed start capacitor, I needed to grind corn, so I started it manually and waited for the corn to flow into the grinder, no corn and the pan under the gravity box was filling up fast. Shut it down and spun it the correct direction and was grinding corn. Replaced the capacitor and all was well.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back