Engine on old balers or combines?

Hello -

I have run across a Wisconsin TJD engine that has been stored inside, but not run for a long time. Seems like it could be an
interesting restoration project.

Is this the engine that I always heard about being used on balers and some combines, and being very difficult to start when hot?

Do these engines have any practical use nowadays, or have a value for collectors? See photo.
cvphoto168820.jpg
I have a Engine like that on a Hobart Welder. With electric start and 12 volt battery and it starts very good. I never seen them on Balers or Combines but back a few years ago a lot of the Concrete Saws they use to score new poured concrete Roads, drive ways and buildings had them. They must be pretty dependable as the spend hours grooving new pored concrete to help prevent cracks in the wrong places>

Hello -

I have run across a Wisconsin TJD engine that has been stored inside, but not run for a long time. Seems like it could be an
interesting restoration project.

Is this the engine that I always heard about being used on balers and some combines, and being very difficult to start when hot?

Do these engines have any practical use nowadays, or have a value for collectors? See photo.
cvphoto168820.jpg
I've got a small Baldwin Gleaner combine that would have had the 2 cylinder engine, but it's gone.
We bailed with the V4 on a Super 77, and neighbor had one on a Case combine. My brother, the mechanic
said the problem was often that the owner wouldn't spend the $25 for a tune-up each spring. In later equipment, such as an Owatonna swather, the Wisconsin engines used a distributor ignition. Didn't have any trouble with those, but probably cost $50 more initial cost. Somewhere, I saw a Vee Two Wisconsin. It was like a V-4 cut in half. Would have run like a Harley.

This little tractor uses a 2 cylinder Wisconsin

Attachments

• Waterloo Bronco 2.jpg
    Waterloo Bronco 2.jpg
    833.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Waterloo tractor.jpg
    Waterloo tractor.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 8

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back