Engine popping out the carb questioning internal timing.

AKJD430

New User
Thanks in advance for any help someone might offer. Im new to the forum so hopefully I wont sound too ignorant. I started restoring a 1959 JD 430U in 2012. While doing a complete overhaul on the engine I got to the internal timing. I used the existing crank and cam with new bearings. To my dismay there were no evident timing marks on the gears. Certainly nothing like the marks depicted in the IT service manual. There was however two very light scetchy punch marks, two on the cam gear teeth and one on a crank tooth. Is that normal? Ok I didnt feel confident but I bracketed the three marks and sealed the timing cover up. The project lost steam and the engine sat covered on an engine stand.

Fast forward 7 years and I decided to finish the restoration. I never felt good about the internal timing marks but moved ahead. I got the engine to the point of firing it up a few weeks ago. Ive Rebuilt the Carb with new throttle shaft and power valve. Lined the tank, new gascolater, electronic ignition, so while adjusting the valve clearance the I read where checking the internal timing with the engine assembled could be done by verifying the DC mark should be within 1/4 of the index line when the #1 intake valve is just beginning to open. It was more like an 11/2 past when the intake was beginning to open. I figured I must have the internal timing off. So I tore into it and ultimately played trial and error moving the cam gear a tooth at a time and aligning the distributor grove so it was outside and parallel with engine per the manual. Right now the intake valve is just starting to open when the index line is still in the window. Although probably more like a 3/8 past the index line. Ive Adjusted valve clearance 015. But havent rechecked them since its been running.

Ok, so she fires right up and purrs at idle. Ive warmed it up and driven it around but problem is it starts popping out the carb and running rough and the governor races back and forth severely. unless I pull the choke out. I have adjusted the hand control to governor and governor to carb per the manual and You Tube. However the governor stop bolt is still needs adjusting. At 1850 rpm I can almost smooth the engine with choke but no quite. Ive read a forums and everything points to a lean mixture. I going to verify a steady flow of clean fuel but Im highly doubtful that there is a restriction in fuel flow. Ive tryed adjusting the power valve. No change. Any help would be greatly appreciated even if it means going back in to the timing cover.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back