Explain this wreck

My home is about 1/4 mile from the farm property and I sometimes bring a tractor down the road for some yard work. RH turns coming but LH going back with blind hills at both ends. I've been hit a couple of times, never serious, and had many more close calls even with the wife following with flashers on. I signal a left turn well in advance but it's meaningless. Even had one kid say he thought I was waving him on. Reading the article, how is one supposed to yield to a passing vehicle and why was the bus even trying to pass? Oncoming traffic I understand. If I pull to the right I'll be in the ditch or waiting a long time at the top of a blind hill exposing passing cars who can't see over it.

No SMV sign either. Not that would matter here. Tractor driver should have pulled over as I doubt he could see around that hopper.

Last edited:
In today’s world you have to assume that you will have someone attempting to pass when making a left turn with farm equipment. It’s just what people do. Even with modern equipment that has turn signals, most don’t even notice.

My take on the article though is the bus was at fault. Very few situations where the front of your vehicle hits something that you are not considered at fault.

Sounds like this is what happened: This is the intersection of 164 and Wilma Road as stated in the article from Google Maps. Red line shows what I believe to be tractor's intended path turning left on to Wilma Rd. Yellow line shows what I believe to be the bus's path as it attempted to pass the tractor. Tractor turned into the path of the bus, and wha-bam! People go to the hospital.

This is all conjecture, but the whole incident likely started a ways back. The bus driver saw the tractor going slow up ahead, no oncoming traffic, and swung out to pass. The tractor driver didn't look back, and abruptly turned into the path of the bus.

1715343297956.png

Not that I agree with the law.

Florida Statute 316.122 says that folks turning left must yield the right of way to any vehicle approaching from the other direction. That means if you are turning left, you have to get out of the way of folks coming from the other direction. And, a driver turning left must also yield the right of way to drivers lawfully passing on their left in an intersection or otherwise close by. That means that if you are turning left and someone is passing you from behind, you cannot cut in front of them.

From what I understand, the tractor driver was trying to make a left hand turn to exit off the hwy and the bus tried to pass him and hit him. Here in NC, he would of had the right of way and the following vehicles would have had to wait for him to finish his turn, then the next vehicle would have they're chance of right of way. The state here no longer teaches driving hand signals in drivers ed or on the license test. I have given them while on smaller tractors and other older equipment without turn signals, but the general population of drivers get some idea that you are waiving them around you to pass. Everyone is in a hurry. I realize this ain't 1950 anymore with all the traffic on the roads, but if folks would just slow down AND pay attention, a lot less accidents would happen.

If the bus was already in the left lane in the process of passing then the tractor operator was at fault. I am betting he didn't look to the left before he turned. The story does not reveal all the facts though. Yes, the bus driver should have been more wary since all the vehicles ahead were slowing down. This was a case of poor judgment on both parts I think.

It makes sense, Imagine if that would have been a bicycle instead of a tractor. When someone is already attempting to pass you need to wait all traffic is clear before attempting to turn left. There is no need to recklessly assume that when other vehicles have the right of way they will always yield.

Maybe passing a short written test should be required before drivers licenses are renewed?

Not that I agree with the law.

Florida Statute 316.122 says that folks turning left must yield the right of way to any vehicle approaching from the other direction. That means if you are turning left, you have to get out of the way of folks coming from the other direction. And, a driver turning left must also yield the right of way to drivers lawfully passing on their left in an intersection or otherwise close by. That means that if you are turning left and someone is passing you from behind, you cannot cut in front of them.
What if there is no indication from the tractor that it is going to make a turn? Those little Fords can turn very abruptly when going slow.

I've lost count of the number of times I've had a tractor suddenly dart left across the oncoming lane into a driveway or side road in front of me. No signal, hand or otherwise. They don't even look back.

It makes sense, Imagine if that would have been a bicycle instead of a tractor. When someone is already attempting to pass you need to wait all traffic is clear before attempting to turn left. There is no need to recklessly assume that when other vehicles have the right of way they will always yield.

Maybe passing a short written test should be required before drivers licenses are renewed?
Except you don't need a license to drive a tractor or ride a bicycle.

Besides, I don't think the guy on the tractor was aware that the bus was trying to pass. I don't think he was aware of the bus at all.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back