Explain this wreck

Not that I agree with the law.

Florida Statute 316.122 says that folks turning left must yield the right of way to any vehicle approaching from the other direction. That means if you are turning left, you have to get out of the way of folks coming from the other direction. And, a driver turning left must also yield the right of way to drivers lawfully passing on their left in an intersection or otherwise close by. That means that if you are turning left and someone is passing you from behind, you cannot cut in front of them.
I am not buying you have to yield when turning left for people behind you. They have to yield or you could be sitting blocking the road till all traffic clears. However; with Florida government and rich blue hairs laws could be different than normal places.

And......totally unrelated to the accident itself;

"It was scary i cried My back herts bc of it he failed to yealed and we crashed"

Could this be considered a commentary on the state of today's education system?

I am not buying you have to yield when turning left for people behind you. They have to yield or you could be sitting blocking the road till all traffic clears. However; with Florida government and rich blue hairs laws could be different than normal places.
That's not what it says. It says you have to yield to people "lawfully passing on the left."

To me, that means someone who initiated a passing maneuver before you signaled your left turn.

My bet is that in this instance, there was no indication from the tractor that it was going to turn left, until it turned left.

That's not what it says. It says you have to yield to people "lawfully passing on the left."

To me, that means someone who initiated a passing maneuver before you signaled your left turn.

My bet is that in this instance, there was no indication from the tractor that it was going to turn left, until it turned left.
I have also noticed many people don't know what hand signals are, or don't know how to use them in traffic. Well ...the only hand signals most seem to know are obscene gestures

Not sure why this is even a discussion. The tractor driver is required to:
A: Display a slow moving vehicle sign
B: Hand signal when turning
C: Yield to vehicles attempting to pass when in a passing lane

Hope he's okay, but in no way is it the bus drivers fault. It's pretty cut and dry.

I don't really get the yield to someone passing on the left. I can see not cutting them off if everyone is traveling down the road but it would be totally chaotic to yield to every idiot passing you on the left. would have to really rely on rear view mirrors especially in some cars you can't completely turn around to look. i cannot say i've seen someone try to pass someone stopped and turning left.
when we moved i was floored (still am) how Indiana drivers will not even let of the gas to pass someone turning left on the right hand side. i swear they'll drive thru a corn field to avoid touching the brake. i catch quite a few if i'm waiting on someone turning left then i go and they happen to get stuck on the berm (not a good place to drive around here, too many nails from amish horses and screws and staples from all the RVs we make that fall off being delivered). and have to merge back in as i am proceeding in the normal lane of traffic. of course they are also passing on the right thru an intersection with i don't think is legal. they make better idiots everyday... no worry about shortage of them...

curious... i'll have to look at Indiana to see if they have a yield to left passers .

When I took driver's ed, we were told that it is illegal to pass within 100 feet of an intersection in ND. I don't know if that law still stands or not. I'd have to look it up. I suppose every state has their own laws on that. About 90% of the time the person who hit another from behind are found to be at fault. I have had people brake check in front of me. I asked my brother, who was a county mounty at the time, who would get in trouble if I hit them from behind and he said it's almost always the person who was behind the other vehicle. Don't know if that is still true when passing and someone turns into the other lane. I suppose it depends if passing through an intersection is legal in that state.

Actually this explains a lot: Half the farmers believe they need to yield to passing traffic and the other half believe they have a right to cut in front of passing traffic. It is surprising there are not many more accidents like that.

I know many school buses have video monitoring inside the bus, and several have external (dashcam) for front and rear of the bus. Hopefully the bus involved in this incident has that as well

No idea why they are blaming the tractor driver?? http://www.northescambia.com/2024/05/21222bus-tractor-crash-near-walnut-hill?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR02MTlxzgOvdUVKQtn4Z7eOHnfl78gfJ92Zuz-mCUZ7OXLvnC1TwILYte4_aem_ATShSeonw-9qsVI0yOrs6L1g9-
I know many school buses have video monitoring inside the bus, and several have external (dashcam) for front and rear of the bus. Hopefully the bus involved in this incident has that as well
... and hopefully the bus driver doesn't erase them.

I don't really get the yield to someone passing on the left. I can see not cutting them off if everyone is traveling down the road but it would be totally chaotic to yield to every idiot passing you on the left. would have to really rely on rear view mirrors especially in some cars you can't completely turn around to look. i cannot say i've seen someone try to pass someone stopped and turning left.
when we moved i was floored (still am) how Indiana drivers will not even let of the gas to pass someone turning left on the right hand side. i swear they'll drive thru a corn field to avoid touching the brake. i catch quite a few if i'm waiting on someone turning left then i go and they happen to get stuck on the berm (not a good place to drive around here, too many nails from amish horses and screws and staples from all the RVs we make that fall off being delivered). and have to merge back in as i am proceeding in the normal lane of traffic. of course they are also passing on the right thru an intersection with i don't think is legal. they make better idiots everyday... no worry about shortage of them...

curious... i'll have to look at Indiana to see if they have a yield to left passers .
You're making the assumption that the tractor was "stopped and turning left." A Ford 641 Workmaster doesn't have to stop to turn left if there is no oncoming traffic. The bus would not have tried to pass on the left if there was oncoming traffic.

What else would you do with someone passing you on the LEFT but yield?

Here is the law created:

1715372350090.png

Reactions: HFJ
Actually this explains a lot: Half the farmers believe they need to yield to passing traffic and the other half believe they have a right to cut in front of passing traffic. It is surprising there are not many more accidents like that.
I know, right?

Yield means don't impede the other vehicle as it passes by. For a vehicle passing on the left that means, keep driving as you have been.

Question on the "no passing lane near an intersection". Is Wilma Rd owned by the state or county or is it a private drive?

Every road in our county has a name including private drives. A lot of main county and state roads have passing zones that go past private drives while county roads that have intersections with another county or state road do not.

Oh OK my bad.

Not that I agree with the law.

Florida Statute 316.122 says that folks turning left must yield the right of way to any vehicle approaching from the other direction. That means if you are turning left, you have to get out of the way of folks coming from the other direction. And, a driver turning left must also yield the right of way to drivers lawfully passing on their left in an intersection or otherwise close by. That means that if you are turning left and someone is passing you from behind, you cannot cut in front of them.
I think the operative phrase here is "lawfully passing on their left in an intersection". I take this to mean you cannot turn left in front of someone passing you in a designated left turn lane or turn left in front of someone passing in a left lane while you are in the right lane when traveling on a 4 lane highway.

Our farm is on a US highway. It's scary as hell when trying to turn left with an oncoming semi and a semi behind me that pulls around to pass on the shoulder at the same time. Happens all the time and I feel like a semi truck sandwich with me stopped and them going 65 mph. I usually slow down a mile earlier encouraging vehicles behind me to pass if the oncoming lane is clear. If not I try to drift over when clear to let a line of vehicles behind me know that I intend to turn left. If the oncoming lane is clear I get into that lane plenty early to let the vehicles behind me keep on going by.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back