Explain this wreck

Going back to when I was in high school and taking driver ed, I was told that the vehicle that initiates a passing maneuver is required to perform that maneuver SAFELY. I was also taught that if anything happens during that maneuver, it is the fault of the passing vehicle, not the vehicle being passed. This was reinforced when I took classes for getting a CDL so long ago.

I cannot even comprehend why anybody would think differently.

Entrance to our road is on a slight curve, no passing, with a dedicated turn lane. I get passed all the time from behind, while in the left turn lane, traffic at the intersection, and head on traffic will attempt to pass there too. People are nuts.

Also, it isn’t uncommon for people to use left turn lanes for passing either in the direction of travel or the opposite direction. The other day, I was pulling into a left turn lane on a straight section of road and someone from the opposite direction was using it is passing lane; almost had a head on.

There is no defense. No matter who is at fault, you will be sued.

I don't really get the yield to someone passing on the left. I can see not cutting them off if everyone is traveling down the road but it would be totally chaotic to yield to every idiot passing you on the left. would have to really rely on rear view mirrors especially in some cars you can't completely turn around to look. i cannot say i've seen someone try to pass someone stopped and turning left.
when we moved i was floored (still am) how Indiana drivers will not even let of the gas to pass someone turning left on the right hand side. i swear they'll drive thru a corn field to avoid touching the brake. i catch quite a few if i'm waiting on someone turning left then i go and they happen to get stuck on the berm (not a good place to drive around here, too many nails from amish horses and screws and staples from all the RVs we make that fall off being delivered). and have to merge back in as i am proceeding in the normal lane of traffic. of course they are also passing on the right thru an intersection with i don't think is legal. they make better idiots everyday... no worry about shortage of them...

curious... i'll have to look at Indiana to see if they have a yield to left passers .
Indiana does not have any silly law about yielding to people passing on the left during a left hand turn. My uncle was hit by an impatient driver passing on the left from 4 cars back as he made a legal left hand turn from a 2 lane road to another 2 lane. Passing driver was sited, and his insurance got to buy my uncle's van and pay medical expenses.

A school bus passing is ridiculous on a 2 lane is an unnecessary risk.

From the position of the vehicles id say barnyards drawing is probably about what happened.

Also generally the bus would be at fault passing into a left turning vehicle signal or not since its an implement of husbandry except for the issue already mentioned above.

In this case SMV sticker needs to stuck be on that spinner hopper right in the middle. Thats pretty much the only rule we all have to follow if you are operating a tractor in the daylight so we probably best all follow it. Its a fairly easy thing to do doesn't cost a whole lot and is the first thing they look at when a collision from the rear happens.

And no the smv sign wouldn't solve an issue you still would get hit the bus driver passed at an intersection. Its quite possible if he had turn signals there are still a few careful school bus drivers around that would have noticed the blinky light.

Indiana does not have any silly law about yielding to people passing on the left during a left hand turn. My uncle was hit by an impatient driver passing on the left from 4 cars back as he made a legal left hand turn from a 2 lane road to another 2 lane. Passing driver was sited, and his insurance got to buy my uncle's van and pay medical expenses.

A school bus passing is ridiculous on a 2 lane is an unnecessary risk.

Does this law (19 years old) not apply to your no such silly law?

1715526752707.png

Regardless of the laws where ever anyone is located, the sensible thing to do would be pull off on the shoulder of the road and let any traffic from behind pass before making the left turn off the road.

I've been doing that for years and have never come close to being hit.

I'll even do it in my car or truck if there is traffic close behind me.

This very thing happened to me a few years ago. I was passing a slow moving vehicle and that vehicle turned into me. They totalled their uninsured vehicle and had to pay out of pocket to fix my pickup. People need to learn the laws before they get out on the roads, looks like plenty here might want to refresh too. As with slow moving vehicles, people on foot and bicycles etc, depending on states, you might be allowed to pass them in a no passing zone too.

Common sense says you should always check for overtaking traffic before you turn left. Doesn't matter if you're driving a tractor, car, motorcycle or oxcart. Obviously it's difficult to do on a tractor, given that they typically don't have mirrors and there's usually a big difference in speed between the tractor and overtaking vehicle. Also, older drivers find it difficult to twist around to look behind them. But ya gotta do it.

Common sense does dictate you check because of the clowns passing you at intersections. Legally he’s not at fault though at least in my state bus driver shouldn’t be passing at an intersection. Doesn’t really matter to tractor driver since he got smoked and if you don’t look that is exactly what will happen but common sense also says the bus is in the wrong

Attachments

• 3FC2536F-D856-4DC3-9285-AF0A343FA2A4.png
    3FC2536F-D856-4DC3-9285-AF0A343FA2A4.png
    238.9 KB · Views: 21
Common sense does dictate you check because of the clowns passing you at intersections. Legally he’s not at fault though at least in my state bus driver shouldn’t be passing at an intersection. Doesn’t really matter to tractor driver since he got smoked and if you don’t look that is exactly what will happen but common sense also says the bus is in the wrong
Common sense says the bus driver would not have attempted to pass if the tractor were in the process of making a left hand turn, or were making any OBVIOUS indication that it was about to make a turn.

Common sense says the bus driver would not have attempted to pass if the tractor were in the process of making a left hand turn, or were making any OBVIOUS indication that it was about to make a turn.
Common sense, while generally a good thing, can sometimes be very different in the same situation for different people. Which can result in people getting onto a collision course. This can illustrate the wisdom of having LAWS to just clear things up and reduce the frequency of accidents.

Being in the right doesn't make you less dead.

Most all "accidents" occur because someone is not paying attention to what is going on around them. Your eyes and ears are really the only things that may keep you safe. Keep your mind on driving and LOOK before you make your move. Doesn't matter who has the right of way if anyone involved does not respect that right of way. Common sense says "Look both ways and listen first".

You're making the assumption that the tractor was "stopped and turning left." A Ford 641 Workmaster doesn't have to stop to turn left if there is no oncoming traffic. The bus would not have tried to pass on the left if there was oncoming traffic.

What else would you do with someone passing you on the LEFT but yield?
barn yard. as usual you only read what you want and you missed the point. I made NO assumptions in my post and didn't even reference the accident in question. my post was questioning a LAW someone mentioned that said you had to yield to someone passing on the left. you're right in that it is the safe thing to do but cannot be a law that makes any sense as it would be complete chaos with everyone passing on the left while you're trying to turn left.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back