F30 electric start conversion

Nebraska Kirk

For several years now I have thought about putting an electric start on one of my F30s by modifying the bell housing to accept a starter and machining the flywheel to accept a ring gear. I am still researching and trying to find out what ring gear and starter to use though. I have read about others that have done this, but have not yet been able to find out what starter and ring gear they used. Does anyone here have any information on any F30 electric start conversions that were done by putting a ring gear on the flywheel and mounting the starter to the bell housing?

Hi Kirk, I have electric start on an F12 that the old man former owner said was a ring gear and starter from a Jeep. Probably done in the 50s. I doubt that your F30 flywheel would be the same size, but that is what I've got for reference
2022-08-18 23.32.31.jpg

For several years now I have thought about putting an electric start on one of my F30s by modifying the bell housing to accept a starter and machining the flywheel to accept a ring gear. I am still researching and trying to find out what ring gear and starter to use though. I have read about others that have done this, but have not yet been able to find out what starter and ring gear they used. Does anyone here have any information on any F30 electric start conversions that were done by putting a ring gear on the flywheel and mounting the starter to the bell housing?

if you dont care about looks just weld a flywheel from an automatic tranny to the output drive shaft before it goes into the tranny then make a bracket for the starter its easy and simple saves the cranking and can be removed if someone doesent like it see one done from time to time

Kirk, It's been a long time since we spoke. I did hear you got married. Congratulations.
Don't know if you have FB market place? I had seen back a couple weeks ago Thomas Vaughan on the Farmall Reg. F-20 F-30 group
Had a F -30 Bell housing Flywheel and starter for sale. I bet he could answer your questions. the bell house work looked very clean. would be great if it was something that you could copy or someone could make them up. Good luck old friend.

Hi Kirk. There was a gentleman who had one on a F-20 at Albert Lee. He had a flywheel on the PTO and a GM starter,battery mounted beside the starter(no charging system) I wonder if a starter/generator from a 154 cub would have enough power to turn it over.

Kirk, You may know what is the size difference F-30 verse F-20 flywheel? I was told F-20 used M ring gear.
I would think Ryan Peters would know what was used on F-30

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back