Farm Bookkeeping program

super99

I need a different record keeping software for my small farm. I have used Microsoft Money for many years, all I need is income and expense tracking. Not sure what changed, but I can't get into the 2023 Farm Account. When I go to the home page, it doesn't show any accounts listed. If I go to a backed up copy and try to open it, it says it is already open and I need to close it to open it but I can't get to it to close it to open it. I've had it, I'm ready for something different/better. I looked online and found some free accounting software but I'm unsure how well it works. I have no hired help, so I don't need anything for that. I'm thinking about Quickbooks, is there anything better/simpler? Small farm, retired, limited income so I don't want to spend a lot for what little I have. Thanks, Chris

I need a different record keeping software for my small farm. I have used Microsoft Money for many years, all I need is income and expense tracking. Not sure what changed, but I can't get into the 2023 Farm Account. When I go to the home page, it doesn't show any accounts listed. If I go to a backed up copy and try to open it, it says it is already open and I need to close it to open it but I can't get to it to close it to open it. I've had it, I'm ready for something different/better. I looked online and found some free accounting software but I'm unsure how well it works. I have no hired help, so I don't need anything for that. I'm thinking about Quickbooks, is there anything better/simpler? Small farm, retired, limited income so I don't want to spend a lot for what little I have. Thanks, Chris
Have you tried shutting down your computer and unplugging it then starting it up again?

Doing a search "farm accounting software" gets a lot of possibilties. The USDA, Farm Bureau, local CO-OP might also have something to recommend.

I've used Quicken for years. May have to use QuickBooks as Quicken may not be available anymore. Simple to use. Inexpensive. I use the check writer function - the transaction is recorded as the check is printed. I like the ease of generating reports - the manager for the farm I rented required quarterly reports.

I've used Quicken for years. May have to use QuickBooks as Quicken may not be available anymore. Simple to use. Inexpensive. I use the check writer function - the transaction is recorded as the check is printed. I like the ease of generating reports - the manager for the farm I rented required quarterly reports.
Quicken is still available but it is a subscription. It costs about $70 a year and you have local
and online backup.

I use a very simple spreadsheet.
It has expense categories.....utilities, feed, machinery, parts, fuel etc... and an income category.
The items in the categories get totaled up, then the expense categories get totaled, then that gets subtracted from the Income category for net income for the year.
The spreadsheet is saved as an .xls file...one of the older Excel formats. I started using LibreOffice Calc on this computer, a free downloadable office software suite. It'll run the .xls just fine, at least for the simple tasks I have for it.
All receipts/checks get scanned and saved in monthly folders....the folder might be named 01 January 2024 Farm...... as PDF files.

Attached are a few pics, there are several other expense categories but this gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.
spreadsheet 1.jpg
spreadsheet 2.jpg
spreadsheet 3.jpg

I also have utilized Quicken for years to record my farm income/expenses & write checks

I use a very simple spreadsheet.
It has expense categories.....utilities, feed, machinery, parts, fuel etc... and an income category.
The items in the categories get totaled up, then the expense categories get totaled, then that gets subtracted from the Income category for net income for the year.
The spreadsheet is saved as an .xls file...one of the older Excel formats. I started using LibreOffice Calc on this computer, a free downloadable office software suite. It'll run the .xls just fine, at least for the simple tasks I have for it.
All receipts/checks get scanned and saved in monthly folders....the folder might be named 01 January 2024 Farm...... as PDF files.

Attached are a few pics, there are several other expense categories but this gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.View attachment 1986View attachment 1987View attachment 1988
That would work, so I look for LibreOffice Calc? Thanks, Chris

Wise a** answer
8 sheets of 5.5x8.5 paper. I could consolidate and get by with less, but I can be extravagant in places!

You made me look closer at my computer, It has Open Office on it that I have never used. It has a similar spreadsheet to the one you showed. I guess I should dig deeper into how to use it.

I used Quicken for many years. In 2020 Quicken let me down. Going to the bank to get data hopelessly screwed up. Caused me not to file on time. I won't use a Windows computer, I won't use Mac any more. No Quicken for Chromebook. I am hosed. Trying QuickBooks online but turned into a mess

I used Quicken for many years. In 2020 Quicken let me down. Going to the bank to get data hopelessly screwed up. Caused me not to file on time. I won't use a Windows computer, I won't use Mac any more. No Quicken for Chromebook. I am hosed. Trying QuickBooks online but turned into a mess
I use an Excel spreadsheet. Chrome has Google sheets and Openoffice available that can do the same thing.
I set it up to total each column at the bottom of the sheet.

spread.jpg

That would work, so I look for LibreOffice Calc? Thanks, Chris
I've got my blank spreadsheet saved on my puter. It has the formulas set up, but nothing else, all fields are empty.
Would look like the images I showed. I can email you a copy if you want.

Trying to set up a spreadsheet, found one I started for 2020. How do I get the green column for income and red column for expenses?

Attachments

• IMG_2228.jpeg
    IMG_2228.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 12

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back