farm & dog:

CKain(MI)

My dog often finds a 'pile' that a deer left. guess it's a 'deerpie'.. Well dog will lay on it, roll on it, and of course it shows. Anyone got a tip on stopping that. I suppose I could check the lot often and throw something over it. ? but I would not want to roam the lot with a bucket. Or maybe just dissuade the deer from sleeping in my 1 acre, mowed side lot.? Oh ya, I haven't caught him in the act yet, so it's hard to teach him NO !!

My dog often finds a 'pile' that a deer left. guess it's a 'deerpie'.. Well dog will lay on it, roll on it, and of course it shows. Anyone got a tip on stopping that. I suppose I could check the lot often and throw something over it. ? but I would not want to roam the lot with a bucket. Or maybe just dissuade the deer from sleeping in my 1 acre, mowed side lot.? Oh ya, I haven't caught him in the act yet, so it's hard to teach him NO !!

About all you can do is lead the dog to dear droppings and convince it not to participate. Using a Dog repellant spray on the droppings while the dog is looking at it might work. It might take 4 or more "events" to make a connection in the dog's thinking. Jim

I had two labs, littermates, one would do it, the other would not. She would roll in scat, dead things, anything stinky... I have had 5 dogs in the last 40 years. She is the only one that did it. I was never able to break her of that. All my dogs have been very well trained and very obediant. She even knew she was in trouble as soon as she did it. But did it anyway.

I had two labs, littermates, one would do it, the other would not. She would roll in scat, dead things, anything stinky... I have had 5 dogs in the last 40 years. She is the only one that did it. I was never able to break her of that. All my dogs have been very well trained and very obediant. She even knew she was in trouble as soon as she did it. But did it anyway.
I hear that. I'm fortunate that none of my Border Collies did that. They could run full tilt across a cow field and miss every pie.

You didn't want the Australian Shepherd I had as a kid lick your face, because he had a habit of cleaning up behind the cows, out in the pasture. A good dog with a strange sense of taste.

X-2 Thrasher. Josie , our 8 year old Texas Healer does the rabbit S$$t ROLL
BTJL8680.JPG

You didn't want the Australian Shepherd I had as a kid lick your face, because he had a habit of cleaning up behind the cows, out in the pasture. A good dog with a strange sense of taste.
I have a heeler that will lick a calf's behind as I'm bottle feeding it ......
20230716_140916.jpg

Our Corgi rolls in anything that stinks. Really likes the armadillo and raccoon piles. Armadillos don't last very long around here. He doesn't get near the horses but I can only imagine if he did. We got one of those robotic litter boxes for the cat. He liked to eat the kitty biscuits too. Never could break him of that. Our rottweiler doesn't do either.

A few weeks ago I was told by the owner of a young Aussie that his pup loved to chew on things inside his home. He soaked some hot pepper in water and made a spray to use where the dog chewed. It worked for him. I will admit that it could be a chore to spray all spots outside that are necessary, but it could be a deterrent to use outside.

A friend who lived in town had an English setter with not a lot of room to run so he would bring his dog out to run with mine. We were adjacent the Dad's farm. One time his dog laid down and rolled in large cow pie. Had to give her a bath before taking her home.

A friend who lived in town had an English setter with not a lot of room to run so he would bring his dog out to run with mine. We were adjacent the Dad's farm. One time his dog laid down and rolled in large cow pie. Had to give her a bath before taking her home.
Had a mini schnauzer do that one time an hour away from home. She got dipped in the stock tank before heading home.

Several years ago, I had the top off our septic tank to work on it. Our neighbor's dog was around and chased a garter snake into the tank and jumped in after it. Fortunately, I happened to see the happenings so that I could drag him back out. Not sure how he was received when he got home, as he had an inch of slime all over except his head.

Well, I just got in from walking Dad's dog, who is too stupid to survive outside without a leash.

You could smell that a skunk had done its thing outside. He managed to find Ground Zero and IMMEDIATELY went to ground trying to roll in it! I was so mad I could have killed him on the spot. My eyes were watering and he's trying to ROLL in it. Instead I jerked him away with the leash and fortunately he didn't get any on him that I can tell.

One of the best laughs I ever had was at the look on my sister's face when she discovered her precious sheltie considered horse apples a delicacy.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back