Farmall 656 Gas Engine Options

So I have a 656 gas that is pretty much whooped engine wise, the hour meter stopped counting at 8400 hrs, plenty of blow by and fouls plugs pretty quick, still runs but I feel like the end is near. I’m limited on time and I’d like to avoid a full rebuild so I’ve been looking for a good used engine just to swap in. My question is, being that it has a C263, how easy would it be to swap a C291 or C301 in its place? I’m under the assumption that externals of these engines are all pretty similar. Any input is appreciated.

@sammyunns1 they are similar but things need swapped around, will be much easier on a 656 than the 560 I did, go with 291, still a sleeved engine, 301 is not, pm if you need help

@sammyunns1 they are similar but things need swapped around, will be much easier on a 656 than the 560 I did, go with 291, still a sleeved engine, 301 is not, pm if you need help
Do you think it would just be a matter of switching front covers and some accessory stuff?

So I have a 656 gas that is pretty much whooped engine wise, the hour meter stopped counting at 8400 hrs, plenty of blow by and fouls plugs pretty quick, still runs but I feel like the end is near. I’m limited on time and I’d like to avoid a full rebuild so I’ve been looking for a good used engine just to swap in. My question is, being that it has a C263, how easy would it be to swap a C291 or C301 in its place? I’m under the assumption that externals of these engines are all pretty similar. Any input is appreciated.
I have a 656 gas engine with new sleeves and pistons in the box minus rings

Do you think it would just be a matter of switching front covers and some accessory stuff?
It's a matter of taking the two engines, sitting them side-by-side, taking all the non-tractor stuff off the replacement engine, and transferring all the tractor stuff from the 656 engine to the replacement.

You'll have everything you need right there and you'll be able to see if you need to swap front covers, for beginners.

How do you plan to use the tractor? If you do put one of the bigger engines in it I would strongly recommend you resist the urge to pull larger implements with it especially if you are going to use it in the field a lot. The final drives in those tractors were marginal at stock horsepower.

I have a 656 gas engine with new sleeves and pistons in the box minus rings
Are you wanting to sell it? I just discovered that my 656 has a cracked sleeve but I'm not sure about the block yet.

Attachments

• 20240402_215016.jpg
    20240402_215016.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back