Farmall 706 Steering Wheel removal

Hello friends!

I have a hydraulic leak under the steering wheel so I'm trying to remove it to replace the seal.

Here's what I've tried.....

1). PB Blaster for 1 week (no good)

2). Puller (no good)

3). Mapp gas Torch to steering hub (no good)

Maybe there's a set screw or something holding it that I'm unaware of?
Any tricks for removing it?
Thanks

mvphoto111885.jpg

heat that hub up lengthways in one spot with a cutting torch till it starts getting orange. then give that puller a good sharp smack with a
2-3 lb ball peen hammer after you have it tight. ping she will pop off. i see your puller is not centred on the shaft, you can even use a
piece of flat iron to protect them threads.

(quoted from post at 10:47:17 11/26/23) heat that hub up lengthways in one spot with a cutting torch till it starts getting orange. then give that puller a good sharp smack with a
2-3 lb ball peen hammer after you have it tight. ping she will pop off. i see your puller is not centred on the shaft, you can even use a
piece of flat iron to protect them threads.

The heat wont travel down the steering mechanism and damage anything?

In all i have pulled i have never had one that did not come. I use a steering wheel puller with two long 1/4 -28 grade 8 bolts into the two bolt holes and yes they are fine thread . apply ample tightness and one wack from my 16 oz ball peen hammer and they are off . To change that seal takes longer to get the toods and get up on the tractor then it does to do the job.

I heated the center collar on the steering wheel with my Oxy/Actyl torch until it just barley started to glow then tried the hammer again and tightened the puller again as tight as I could get it. Any tighter on the puller and the threads might let go. I can put some significant torque on the puller.

Won't budge.

I do have a crows foot steering wheel puller I'll try as a last resort. I thought the one I am using would do it.
If that doesn't work I may have to use a cutting wheel to cut the steering wheel off. It would probably be quicker and easier.
The steering wheel is pretty much falling apart anyway.

Where can I get a replacement steering wheel if I cut it off?

Glad to hear the seal is easy to replace (once the steering wheel is off). :)

Thanks

This post was edited by FinallyFarming on 11/26/2023 at 12:32 pm.

Seems the heating and cooling expansion broke it loose.
it finally came off.

Thanks all.

This post was edited by FinallyFarming on 11/26/2023 at 02:14 pm.

The steering wheel is pretty much falling apart anyway.

Where can I get a replacement steering wheel if I cut it off?

Many aftermarket sources for them. This YT site has them.
706 Steering

Google "Farmall 706 steering wheel" and you'll get 100's of possible places to buy from. This site included.

The steering wheels are all the same. There is no one "better quality" wheel. All made in the same factory in China. Just buy based on whatever your criteria is. Maybe you just want the cheapest source and don't care about service. Maybe you have a favorite parts vendor that's not the cheapest but isn't the most expensive, but gives good service if there are problems.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back