What would happen if the steering wheel was not completely torqued back down after removal?

706 Model.

What would happen if you removed the steering wheel to replace the seal underneath, but then forgot to tighten the steering wheel back down so that it had 1/8inch free play if you pushed it in toward the tractor and pulled it straight back towards you?

Is it correct to assume "Nothing" would happen since the seal is retained with a brass bushing and snap ring ?

If that's the case, and the leak returned, does that point to a need to remove the pump completely and check the lower seal and possibly rebuild or replace the pump altogether?

Are kits available to rebuild the entire steering hand pump?

Last edited:
I'd imagine, you'd remember that you forgot to tighten it, and you'd tighten it... If you didn't bother there's always the chance the nut rattles loose and the wheel comes off in your hands, which could lead to some tense moments, I'm sure.

If the leak came back, you didn't install the seal correctly, or the sealing surface on the shaft is worn and the seal won't hold. That's if you can verify the leak is coming from around the seal. You might be able to find a speedi-sleeve and seal set that takes up the wear on the shaft and provides a fresh sealing surface. I have no idea what the part number would be for that unfortunately.

I'm not sure how to verify that it's coming from around the seal. It dribbles out directly underneath the steering shaft right here.....
Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Could that be a leak from somewhere else?

As far as putting the seal in correctly;

I install it with the open groove down (away from the steering wheel, solid side up towards the steering wheel). Is that correct?

Which way should the solid brass spacer go?

Anyone know the steering hand pump shaft size on the 706 ?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back