Farmall bn final drive making noise and jumping around

ray299

New User
1000001392.jpg

There's something wrong in this final drive. When letting the clutch out something inside clanks around but is smooth while driving.... There's got to be a bad bearing but my question is what's the best way to go about this? Jack, it up, take the tire off, pull the final drive and then take it apart to see what's wrong? Can I still get parts for these or should I leave it alone considering I'll probably drive it seven times a year....?

View attachment 69545
There's something wrong in this final drive. When letting the clutch out something inside clanks around but is smooth while driving.... There's got to be a bad bearing but my question is what's the best way to go about this? Jack, it up, take the tire off, pull the final drive and then take it apart to see what's wrong? Can I still get parts for these or should I leave it alone considering I'll probably drive it seven times a year....?
I'd remove tire/rim and center as one piece so as to be able to control the heavy center part easier. The center piece is heavy and hard to work with off the rim.

Hello Ray, welcome to YT! You will be able to get parts, gaskets, bearings and seals will be readily available. Any major hard parts like gears or shafts will be replaced with used if it comes to that. Here is the manufacturer’s online parts diagram. CNHI Farmall BN final drive
Here is a link to the repair manual YT offers for your tractor. Farmall BN repair manual
Not sure how robust of a gentleman you are, but you will probably want a cherry picker (engine hoist/crane) to lift the final drive assembly.

View attachment 69545
I would lift that side up at the drawbar loop and wiggle the tire top in out, and front in out to assess the axle bearing first, then take it apart with the pan first to assess bearing pieces in the bottom. Jim

View attachment 69545
Don't know where you are but if you need some used parts I have 1 or 2 B parts tractor on my place here at the Lake of the Ozarks in MO.

Hello Ray, welcome to YT! You will be able to get parts, gaskets, bearings and seals will be readily available. Any major hard parts like gears or shafts will be replaced with used if it comes to that. Here is the manufacturer’s online parts diagram. CNHI Farmall BN final drive
Here is a link to the repair manual YT offers for your tractor. Farmall BN repair manual
Not sure how robust of a gentleman you are, but you will probably want a cherry picker (engine hoist/crane) to lift the final drive assembly.
Thanks, this helps a lot!

I have a Super A which has a similar final drive. I had a clunk noise when starting out. I found it to be a loose shaft nut under the dome shaped cover shown in you picture. Tightening that nut eliminated my noise. Just a possibile solution

I have a Super A which has a similar final drive. I had a clunk noise when starting out. I found it to be a loose shaft nut under the dome shaped cover shown in you picture. Tightening that nut eliminated my noise. Just a possibile solution
I'll check that out first, thank you!

View attachment 69545
We had a B , clunked terrible when you let out the clutch, thought for sure we were gonna have to rebuild the final drive. A little investigation revealed that the center wasn't bolted to the rim tightly and caused the noise.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back